Whew! This focaccia bread was actually way more time consuming than I thought it would be, a couple hours to be somewhat exact. BUT it’s so yummy, so WORTH IT! I even made some Homemade Thai Sweet Chili Sauce to pair with this treat.
Update: This recipe along with several others has been featured on the Cook and Enjoy Recipes blog – where each month a recipe exchange occurs! The theme for this month is Bread – Sweet and Savory. The idea behind the monthly recipe exchange is to share and inspire! Not all of the recipes are dairy-free or egg-free, but there are a few along with mine. I enjoyed participating and look forward to trying out some new bread recipes!
1 packet active dry yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup water, warmed and divided
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons Italian Herb Seasoning
Toppings: 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, 2 teaspoons crushed black peppercorns, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Warm water. Take 1/4 cup of water, dissolve sugar and yeast and let it sit for 10 minutes or until frothy and thick.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, olive oil, salt, and Italian Herb Seasoning. Pour in activated yeast and remaining 3/4 cup of water to knead a dough.
3. Cover the bowl with wet towel. Let dough rise in a warm place for 1-2 hours.
4. Once doubled in size, dust dough with flour and begin kneading for 10 minutes. Then make into a smooth ball.
5. Grease baking pan and transfer dough. Stretch to fit entire pan. Cover and let sit for 30 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. After letting dough sit for 30 minutes, uncover pan and make wells in the dough using your finger.
7. Sprinkle on black pepper, kosher salt, and rosemary; then drizzle olive oil all over the dough.
8. Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes, until golden.
9. Remove and let cool slightly before enjoying with your favorite dipping sauce.
Like what you read? Click here to subscribe to my email list!