This vegan potato soup recipe is thick, creamy, and comforting. It comes together with simple ingredients in under 30 minutes! Perfect for weeknight dinner or meal prep.
If you're looking for a hearty dairy free potato soup to enjoy all fall and winter long, this is the recipe for you!
It's filling, full of flavor, plant based, and budget friendly – with the same flavors you know and love.
The best part? No blender necessary! The potatoes and vegetables break down so easily that you can use the back of a wooden spoon to create that classic creamy consistency.
Potato Soup Without Milk
Let's talk about the ingredients you're going to need to make the best ever potato soup at home!
- Veggie broth
- Vegan butter
- Flour (gluten-free, if needed)
- Dairy free milk
What is the best type of dairy free milk to use for soup?
I prefer using canned coconut milk, as it has a great thick consistency, with no coconut taste! Other great options for non dairy milk are plain and unsweetened oat milk, almond milk, flax milk, and soy milk. Use what you have!
To make vegan gluten free potato soup, ensure your milk is gf friendly.
How to Make Vegan Potato Soup
This vegan potato soup recipe couldn't be simpler!
We're going to start off cooking the veggies down, until the tater is fork tender. After that, we want to drain and reserve the cooking liquid. This will help us achieve that super creamy potato soup texture!
Next, we're going to saute the onion then create a roux by melting the plant based butter and stirring in the flour. To finish the roux, pour in milk of your choice, while continuing to stir.
Pop those cooked veggies from before back into your pot and give everything a big stir. Continue mixing, adding reserved liquid until the soup is as chunky or smooth as your family perefers.
I like to leave some chunks in my potato soup but to make this recipe kid-friendly, add extra reserved water or broth until desired consistency is reached. You can also grab a hand blender, but I don’t think it’s necessary.
Portion potato soup into bowls and enjoy warm, garnished with your favorite toppings!
This soup is perfect served straight from the stovetop or prepped ahead of time.
- Fresh parsley
- Chopped green onion
- Vegan cheese
- Nutritional yeast
- Vegan sour cream
- Non dairy plain yogurt
What to Serve with Potato Soup
There are so many great side dish options for potato soup! Here are a few ideas to complete your wholesome meatless meal:
More Soup Recipes
Celebrate soup season with these delicious recipes!
- How to Make Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- Gluten Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Vegan Broccoli Butternut Squash Soup
- 6 Dairy Free Instant Pot Soup Recipes
I hope you enjoy this quick and easy potato soup recipe as much as we do! It's full of veggies, perfectly rich, and the ultimate meal to switch up your dinner rotation. If you give them a try, please share a photo with me over on Instagram.
Best Vegan Potato Soup Recipe (No Blender!)
- 6 potatoes chopped
- 6 celery ribs chopped
- 3 carrots chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 onion chopped
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ cups dairy-free milk
- In a large pot or dutch oven, cook potatoes, celery, and carrots in vegetable broth and water until fork-tender.
- Once cooked, drain and reserve and liquid. Set veggies aside.
- In the same dutch oven, saute the onion in melted vegan butter, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Once cooked and translucent, make a roux by stirring in the flour, salt, and pepper.
- Pour in dairy-free milk and bring to a boil. Continue to stir, until thickened.
- Add in cooked veggies and give everything a big stir.
- Stream in reserved cooking liquid until the soup reaches your desired consistency. (I typically add at least 2 cups reserved water.)
- Serve garnished with fresh chopped parsley, vegan cheddar cheese, and nutritional yeast. Enjoy!