Want to create a thick and creamy vegan smoothie bowl? I've got you covered! This homemade acai bowl comes together with frozen acai puree, dairy free milk, fruit, and your choice of toppings.
Vegan acai bowls are quick and easy to make, healthy, and wholesome! Here's everything you need to know about how to make an acai bowl at home.
What is an acai bowl?
An acai bowl is basically a thick smoothie that can be topped with fresh fruit, granola, peanut butter, agave, and various other toppings. It's served in a bowl and eaten with a spoon!
I enjoyed my first açaí bowl in Waikiki when we were visiting Oahu, Hawaii on our honeymoon. When we returned, I made it my mission to recreate the best homemade smoothie bowl using acai berries.
Acai Bowl Ingredients
Once you get the hang of making your own homemade acai bowls, you can start experimenting with other fruit, plant based yogurt, non dairy milk and more!
Here's what you'll need to get started:
- Acai: Find frozen acai puree in the freezer section of your local grocery store. I recommend Sambazon or Trader Joe's!
- Milk: Use your favorite plant based milk or whatever you have on hand. I typically use oat milk, almond milk, macadamia nut milk, or coconut milk.
- Fruit: To ensure a thick and creamy smoothie bowl, use frozen fruit for blending. Common fruit mixes include blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries. Include a banana to naturally sweeten the acai bowl.
- Toppings: I like my acai bowls to have a crunch and be topped with a variety of fresh fruit, nuts, and seeds. My secret ingredients is a little spoonful of almond butter!
Experiment with your favorite flavors and texture.
Tips for The Best Acai Bowl
- Don't use too much dairy free milk. You can always add more, if needed to thin the smoothie bowl out.
- Prep all your toppings ahead of time! There's nothing worse than a melting acai bowl right in front of your eyes.
- As you're prepping ingredients, place your bowl in the freezer. This will help keep the smoothie frozen for longer.
How to Make an Acai Bowl Thicker
It's important to use frozen fruit and start with less liquid for a thicker acai bowl.
Need to fix a watery acai bowl? Toss in a bit more frozen fruit or a couple tablespoons of plain vegan yogurt.
I hope you love this gluten free and dairy free acai bowl as much as I do! Check out these delicious dairy free breakfast ideas next:
- Sea Moss Smoothie
- Chia Seed Pudding
- Vegan French Toast
- Flaxseed Pancakes
- Dairy Free Overnight Oats
- Blended Baked Oats
Vegan Acai Bowl Recipe
- 2 frozen acai puree pouches
- ¼ cup dairy free milk oat milk, almond milk, coconut milk, etc.
- ½ cup frozen mixed berries
- 1 frozen banana
- Your choice of toppings sliced fresh fruit, granola, nuts, seeds, nut butter
- In a high-speed blender, blend frozen acai puree with dairy free milk and frozen fruit.
- Transfer the smoothie into 2 bowls, then top with desired toppings.
- Enjoy immediately!
- Prepare the toppings before blending ingredients together.
- Chill serving bowls in the freezer ahead of time.
- Use frozen fruit!
- If your acai bowl is too watery, add extra frozen fruit and blend again.