These tender caramelized roasted root vegetables make for a healthy fall-inspired side dish! Great for the holidays or everyday meals. Drizzle with lemon tahini dressing to really make all the flavors pop!
For the amount of veggie roasting I do, you’d think I’d have a whole section dedicated to just that. In all honestly though, roasting vegetables is something that I’ve come to basically do on autopilot over the years.
With the holidays and thanksgiving approaching, I wanted to share this rustic effortless roasted veg dish. It has all the fall flavors we know and love, but none of the hassle!
I absolutely love these root veggies as a side dish but they’re also great in quinoa bowls with a little chopped spinach and protein of choice.
What are root vegetables?
Root vegetables grow underground at the base of a plant. I’m using carrots and parsnips, but feel free to use what you like. I love roasting veggies because you can simply use what you’re in the mood for or what your grocery store has in stock. Here are some popular root vegetables:
- Sweet Potatoes
What are your favorites?
How to make roasted root veggies
To make roasted vegetables, start by peeling and chopping each carrot and parsnip. Or whatever veggie you have!
Toss veggies with a little olive oil and seasoning then transfer to a baking sheet. I love using fresh thyme, rosemary, and parsley this time of year.
Roast at 425F for 30 minutes, flipping once halfway through. Once tender and caramelized, remove from oven, drizzle with dressing, and serve!
Lemon Tahini Dressing Recipe
You can drizzle these veggies in your favorite store-bought or homemade sauce. I’ve been loving this dressing for all my fall-inspired creations lately! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Lemon juice
- Agave nectar
- Ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
Simply blend everything together, taste and adjust seasoning, then use on top of salads, bowls, and more!
Want more fall recipe ideas? Try these next:
- Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
- Thanksgiving Leftovers Poutine
- Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Spicy Roasted Jalapeno Hummus
- Dairy-Free Tomato Galette
- Easy Mini Apple Pie Tarts
I hope y’all enjoy these oven baked root vegetables as much as we do! They’re quick, easy, and tender. If you try this recipe, please share a photo with me over on Instagram.
Roasted Root Vegetables
- 5 large carrots peeled and quartered
- 4 medium parsnips peeled and quartered
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Creamy Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Toss carrots and parsnips with olive oil and seasoning, then transfer to a prepared baking sheet.
- Roast at 425F for 30 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- Meanwhile, blend dressing ingredients together until smooth.
- Drizzle dressing on top of roasted vegetables and enjoy!