Coat creamy vegan vodka sauce over penne pasta for a plant-based penne alla vodka. It's perfect for an easy weeknight meal! This comforting classic will become a family favorite in no time.
Pasta dishes are perfect for quick, easy, and delicious meals. Check out my recipes for Dairy-Free Fettuccine Alfredo, One Pot Creamy Red Lentil Pasta, Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese, and Pasta with Pumpkin Sauce.
If you're looking to add a new dairy-free dinner into your weekly rotation, this one fits the bill.
It's also perfect for a romantic valentine's day dinner. Here's my web story collection of the best recipes for valentine's day!
Dairy-Free Penne alla Vodka
Penne alla vodka has always been a popular italian dish, but it went viral online when gigi hadid shared her homemade spicy vodka pasta sauce recipe.
To make a non-dairy vodka sauce, here's what you'll need:
- Olive oil (or vegan butter)
- Yellow onion
- Tomato paste
- Canned coconut cream (or canned coconut milk)
- Penne pasta
- Salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes
I love how these simple ingredients transform into a flavorful vibrant sauce!
Creamy Vegan Vodka Sauce FAQ
Is this penne alla vodka actually creamy? Y'all, it's unbelievably saucy, silky smooth, and yes, creamy!
Can I leave out the crushed red pepper? Absolutely! They just give the dish a little kick.
How can I make this dish more cheesy? Feel free to sprinkle some nutritional yeast flakes on top, to add a nutty cheesy taste.
Why didn't you use vegan parmesan cheese? Simply because I didn't have any on hand. I love this dairy-free grated parmesan cheese, this non-dairy shredded parmesan cheese alternative, and this vegan parmesan wedge.
How do you make gluten free vodka sauce? The sauce is already gluten free! You can make gluten free penne alla vodka easily by simply using your favorite gluten free pasta.
Does this dish work well for meal prepping? Yes! I make a big batch for dinner and then enjoy leftovers for lunch.
How do I store vodka sauce? Leftovers should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. The sauce will naturally thicken up, so you may need to add a little water when reheating.
I hope you enjoy this dairy free vodka sauce recipe as much as we do! It's comfort food at its finest, satisfying to boot, and comes together in less than 30 minutes. If you give it a try, please share a photo with me over on Instagram.
Vegan Vodka Sauce (Penne alla Vodka)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (or plant-based butter)
- ½ cup minced yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 6 onces tomato paste
- ¼ cup vodka
- 14 ounces canned coconut cream (or canned coconut milk)
- 1 pound (16 ounces) penne pasta
- Salt, pepper, red pepper flakes to taste
- Heat the olive oil or plant-based butter over low-medium heat. Cook the onion until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Stir in the tomato paste. It will transform to a deep red color. Lower the heat and stir in the vodka. Let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the coconut cream or coconut milk, salt, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package instructions. Once cooked, drain and transfer to skillet with sauce, reserving about 1-2 cups of pasta water.
- Stir everything together until well incorporated. Add reserved pasta water until desired consistency is reached. Enjoy!