This sweet potato chili recipe is easy to make, wholesome, and full of flavor! It comes together in one pot, in just under 1 hour. Best served with avocado slices, fresh cilantro, and fluffy cornbread!
If you're looking for the ultimate cozy and comforting meatless weeknight meal, this recipe is for you!
It's colorful, warming, vegan friendly, plus naturally dairy free and gluten free.
I love how versatile chili recipes can be! You can toss in your favorite seasonal veggies or a couple cans of beans, stir in tomatoes and seasoning, and boom – dinner is served.
Sweet Potato Chili Ingredients
As always, feel free to adapt this stovetop chili recipe to satisfy your dietary needs!
- Avocado oil
- Sweet potato
- Diced and crushed tomatoes
- Chili beans
- Black beans
- Homemade chili seasoning blend: Chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper
Dairy Free Chili Topping Ideas
One of my favorite parts of chili (or soup, for that matter) are all the add-ons! Here are some tasty toppings for serving with chili.
- Green onion
- Tortilla chips
- Red onion
- Non dairy cheese
- Plant based sour cream
- Dairy free yogurt
- Fresh lime juice
How to Make Vegan Chili with Sweet Potato
My vegan sweet potato and black bean chili couldn't be easier! I like meal prepping it at the beginning of the week and enjoying it throughout the week. Leftovers are pretty great for lunch too!
Cook the vegetables
Start by cooking the onion and sweet potato in a large pot over medium heat.
Using cubed butternut squash instead is a great vegetarian alternative!
Season and stir in the beans
Add chili seasoning and stir in the chili beans and black beans.
Stir in tomatoes and let simmer
Finally, add the diced tomatoes and crushed tomatoes with water. Bring to a simmer uncovered.
Cook for 25 minutes
Let cook for about 25 minutes, or until thickened to your liking. Stir occasionally and serve warm.
Here's a guide for storing, freezing, and reheating should you have leftover vegan sweet potato chili!
- Refrigerator: Store leftover chili in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
- Freezer: To freeze, let chili cool completely, then store in freezer-safe containers for up to 3 months. Thaw before reheating.
- Reheat: Microwave in 60 second intervals, stirring between each round, until warm. Alternatively, heat in a saucepan, until warmed through.
Want more comforting recipes?
Try these quick and easy dairy free meals next:
- Vegan Potato Soup
- Pumpkin Soup with Coconut Milk
- Creamy Vegan Penne alla Vodka
- Dairy Free Enchiladas
- Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
I hope you love this vegan chili recipe as much as we do! It's thick, hearty, and delicious served all year long!
Sweet Potato Chili Recipe
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- ½ tablespoon paprika
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 (10-ounce) cans diced & crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can chili beans rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Warm avocado oil in a large pot over medium heat and sauté the onion for 5 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the sweet potato and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Season with chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir in remaining ingredients then bring to a simmer.
- Let cook, uncovered, for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once thickened to desired consistency, taste and adjust seasonings, if needed. Serve warm!