I LOVE BAGELS! Any kind of bagels – plain, sesame seed, poppy seed, onion, garlic!! Typically I would just go to Panera or Einstein’s to fuel my obsession, but lately I’m all about making my favorites at home.
Serves: 8 bagels
2¼ teaspoons dry active yeast
1½ teaspoons granulated sugar
1¼ cups warm water
3½ cups bread flour
1½ teaspoons kosher salt
Optional toppings: Poppy seeds, sesame seeds, dried garlic, dried onion, etc.
1. Pour 1/2 cup warm water, sugar, and yeast into the bowl of your stand mixer. Let sit for 5 minutes.
2. Add in flour, salt, and remaining warm water. Depending on humidity, you may not need to use all of the remaining 3/4 cup water.
3. Using the dough hook attachment on your stand mixer, knead the dough on low speed for 10 minutes. The dough should be smooth and not stick to the bowl.
4. Cover the bowl in a warm place for 1 hour to rise. I use Saran Wrap to cover rather than a kitchen towel, but either work.
5. Bring a large pot of water* to a boil and preheat oven to 425° F.
6. Punch down dough and let rise for 10 minutes.
7. Divide the dough into 8 pieces. I halved the dough, then separated each half into fourths.
8. Roll dough into a ball and with a floured finger poke a hole into the middle of each.
9. Shape all bagels, then put as many that will fit into your pot of hot water. Typically 2-4, depending on the size of your pot. Boil bagels for 1-2 minutes on each side.
10. Remove bagels and place on greased baking sheet. If you want to add toppings, brush the top with an egg wash (I used olive oil since I didn’t have an egg and this worked fine) and garnish with your fave toppings.
11. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven and place bagels on cooling rack. Let cool completely before digging in!
*As you bring your large pot of water to a boil, stir in about 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and 1 tablespoon of sugar. This will give the bagels that “classic” texture and consistency.
These are so tasty and while at first the thought of making homemade bagels seems long and hard, it’s actually pretty straightforward and quite relaxing.
Like what you read? Click here to subscribe to my email list!
The Urben Life is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com