This dairy free and egg free cornbread recipe is made with simple ingredients in one bowl. It's moist, rich, and perfectly sweet. The texture is fluffy and creamy with a crispy crust and golden edges. Ready in about 30 minutes!
Why you'll love this recipe
- Classic cornbread: Have you ever looked at the back of the Aunt Jemima Corn Meal package? There's a great recipe for soft and light cornbread. This is my version of the Aunt Jemima Cornbread Recipe without eggs or milk.
- Hint of sweetness: The best thing about homemade cornbread is you're able to tweak the ingredient measurements based on your preferences. Add more or less sugar depending on your taste buds.
- Versatile: Cornbread is easy to adapt! I like adding jalapenos and corn kernels to mine for some texture. Instead of slicing into personal rectangles or squares, bake in a muffin pan for kid friendly cornbread muffins!
Here's what you need to make the best dairy free recipe that the whole family will enjoy! Plus my recommended substitutions.
- Cornmeal: Stick to medium-ground cornmeal or fine-ground.
- Flour: Use all purpose flour! If you're making gluten free cornbread, use your favorite gluten free flour blend.
- Baking powder: This helps the cornbread rise and gives it that light, fluffy texture we all know and love.
- Sugar: You can make sweet cornbread by adding more white sugar. You can also replace some of the sugar with brown sugar or coconut sugar.
- Dairy free milk: Use any unflavored and unsweetened dairy free milk. I suggest oat milk, soy milk, rice milk, cashew milk, coconut milk, or even vegan buttermilk.
- Egg substitute: Traditional cornbread calls for one egg. Flax eggs are incredibly easy to make and work as an excellent egg alternative in baking. My favorite store-bought egg substitute is this egg replacer that contains potato starch, tapioca flour, baking powder, and psyllium husk fiber.
- Oil: Use your favorite neutral-flavored oil. I typically use canola oil or vegetable oil but olive oil, refined coconut oil, or avocado oil will all work.
- Salt: Just a pinch to balance everything.
How to make cornbread without milk or eggs
The full directions for this delicious vegan cornbread recipe are in the printable recipe card below.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Stir in the wet ingredients.
- Gently fold in the optional add-ins.
- Transfer batter to a prepared pan.
- Bake at 425F for 20-25 minutes, until cooked through and the top is golden brown.
- Diced jalapeños for a kick.
- Corn kernels for some texture.
- Blueberries for a burst of sweetness.
- Fresh garlic or fresh herbs for added flavor.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, however you may get a slightly different texture when replacing oil with melted butter. When baking with oil, your baked goods will stay soft and moist for longer and often have a lighter texture overall.
Start by measuring the ingredients accurately. Make sure you don't over-mix the cornbread batter, this could lead to dense cornbread. And lastly, bake the cornbread until a toothpick comes out clean. Overbaked cornbread equals dry cornbread.
Let cornbread cool completely then place in an airtight container. Store at room temperature for 2-3 days or up to 1 week in the refrigerator.
To reheat cornbread in a baking dish, cover with foil and place in a preheated oven set to 350F. Warm for about 10 minutes. Alternatively, wrap the slice of cornbread with a moist paper towel and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds, or until warm.
Of course! To make dairy free corn muffins, pour the batter into a lined muffin tin and bake at 425F for about 15-18 minutes.
Serving cornbread as a side dish to chili is the most obvious answer. Try my easy recipe for sweet potato chili. It's ready in under an hour and great for meal prep.
Dairy Free and Egg Free Cornbread Recipe
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup dairy free milk
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon water + 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed) or store-bought egg replacer
- Optional add-ins: Diced jalapeno, corn kernels, minced garlic, fresh herbs
- Preheat oven to 425F. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Prepare flax egg or egg replacer then set aside. Add vegetable oil, dairy free milk, and prepared egg substitute to the mixing bowl.
- Gently stir to combine, being careful not to over-mix the cornbread batter. If using optional add-ins, fold them in.
- Transfer to a greased 9x13 baking dish or 8-inch pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.