Making homemade oat milk is quick, easy, and deliciously dairy-free! With just 3 simple ingredients, you'll have a creamy milk alternative in no time.
Oat milk is naturally thick and creamy so it's perfect for cereal, oatmeal, poured into coffee, or used in baking recipes. (Like these baked oatmeal bars!)
How To Make Oat Milk
Whether you're dairy-free or not, you may be interested in making your own homemade oat milk. Simply blend together rolled oats, water, sweetener of choice, and salt for a quick and easy plant-based milk.
I love blending this together on a Sunday or Monday and using it throughout the week. I store mine in a large mason jar to lock in freshness!
Here are a few things to keep in mind when making oatmilk:
- For gluten-free oat milk, use certified gluten-free oats
- Be sure not to over-blend, as that can lead to slimy oat milk
- Change up the sweetness and flavor depending on your personal preferences
I originally posted this recipe on Taste of Home, so be sure to check out that article for even more tips!
Homemade Oat Milk
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon sweetener of choice maple syrup, honey, etc. (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt use more or less, depending on preference
- Combine rolled oats, water, sweetener, and salt together in a high-speed blender and blend for about 1 minute.
- Place a fine-mesh sieve over a large bowl and strain the mixture. Strain at least twice, to ensure a creamy smooth texture.
- Transfer to storage container and cover to chill for at least 30 minutes.
SUGGESTED EQUIPMENT: My KitchenAid blender works like a charm and makes cleanup a breeze!