Dairy-Free Creamed Corn is thick, rich, and creamy! This quick and easy recipe comes together in under 30 minutes.
Creamed corn is traditionally made with heavy cream, whole milk, and tons of butter. This recipe comes together with a can of sweet corn, dairy-free milk and butter, onion, flour, sugar, and salt.
I enjoy dairy-free creamed corn throughout the year, but it’s especially great during the holidays!
How to Make Creamed Corn
Sauté onion: In a skillet with cooking oil, sauté onion until translucent
Drain sweet corn: Drain and rinse corn, reserving half and transferring to a food processor
Caramelize corn: Add the remaining corn to the skillet with onion and cook for 5-10 minutes
Bring to a simmer: Add dairy-free milk, salt, and sugar to skillet and bring to a simmer. Let cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally
Make a roux: In the middle of the skillet, melt dairy-free butter and stir in flour
Combine: Add puréed corn to skillet and stir to combine
Serve: Let mixture thicken to desired consistency, then serve sprinkled with black pepper
Dairy-Free Creamed Corn
- 1/4 onion diced
- 1 can whole kernel sweet corn
- 1 cup unsweetened dairy-free milk
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dairy-free butter
- 2 teaspoons flour
- Sauté onion in a skillet and let cook until translucent.
- Drain and rinse the sweet corn, reserving half. Transfer half to a food processor and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Add the whole kernel sweet corn to skillet with onion and cook for about 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in dairy-free milk, sugar, and salt. Bring to a simmer and let cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In the middle of the skillet, melt the dairy-free butter and stir in flour, forming a roux.
- Add reserved puréed corn to skillet and stir everything to combine. Turn up the heat until consistency reaches desired thickness. Serve and enjoy!