Vegan Sugar Cookies are perfect for the holiday season but really shine year-round! With just 10 ingredients for the cookies and icing, these are not only delicious but super easy.
I have found the perfect vegan sugar cookies. Leave it to Sam of It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken to develop the mostly delicious treat even non-vegans enjoy. Now, just because they’re vegan doesn’t mean they’re healthy… But it’s called balance, you guys!
These sugar cookies would be great any time of year, but I always crave these bad boys around the holidays. I love how quick and effortless these cookies come together. Throw on some Trans-Siberian Orchestra and get to baking!
I always want an excuse to use my cookie cutters, but if you don’t have any or want a more traditional look and don’t have cookie cutters – try dipping a water glass into a tiny bit of water and press down on the dough! The light buttery sugar cookies really come together once they’ve been iced. The homemade vegan icing is seriously my fave!! Two ingredients: powdered sugar + dairy-free milk or water. Say what!? It’s soo addicting.
These buttery soft cookies are my new go-to recipe, I did adapt the recipe just a bit though. Unfortunately, I don’t have any almond extract, but that’s supposed to really enhance the flavors. Also instead of using a flax/chia egg like the recipe calls for, and I normally would do, I used Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer. I’ve been using it for a few months, and I always love the results. One last note that I feel is necessary to share from the original recipe is that sometimes the moisture levels in vegan butters differ, so if your dough does not come together, add up to 1 tablespoon of water until the dough just comes together. Enjoy and happy holidays!
Vegan Sugar Cookies
Yields: 24 cookies
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg replacer
3/4 cup dairy-free butter
3/4 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon water
1 cup powdered sugar
2-4 teaspoons dairy-free milk
A few drops of food coloring (optional)
1. In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the egg replacer.
3. In the bowl of your stand mixer, beat the dairy-free butter and sugar together until creamy. Then add vanilla extract and water, mix. Next, add the dry mixture and mix until a dough is formed.
4. Place the dough between two sheets of parchment paper and roll it out. Put on a baking sheet and chill for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Once the dough is chilled, cut the cookie shapes and carefully place them on a parchment lined baking sheet. Re-roll the remaining dough until it’s all gone.
6. Bake cookies for 8-11 minutes.
7. As the cookies bake, make the icing by mixing the ingredients together in a bowl.
8. Once the cookies are done baking, transfer to a wire cooling rack. Wait until completely cool to ice.
Like what you read? Click here to subscribe to my email list!
Slightly adapted from It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken.