Learn how to make Spanish Rice. With only 7 ingredients, this easy side dish comes together in under 30 minutes!
I can't pinpoint exactly when I started making Spanish Rice or Mexican Rice, but I believe my good friend at the time gave me a recipe that had been passed down to her and that's where this recipe originated from.
We love using our rice cooker, but for homemade spanish rice, I prefer my medium sized saute pan. I've tried in other large skillets, but my flat bottomed, vertical edged pan is the best for this.
Over the years, this recipe for restaurant style mexican rice has become part of our weekly dinner rotation. It's perfect with tacos, enchiladas, stuffed peppers, tamales, taco salads, burrito bowls, and more!
How to Make Spanish Rice at Home
To start, toast uncooked rice in your pan over medium heat with a drizzle of oil.
Once toasted, add garlic and cook until fragrant. Gently stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to low, to let simmer, and cover for about 15 minutes. Resist the urge to open the lid and stir. That's my top tip!
Once cooked, fluff with a fork and enjoy.
If you like this recipe, try these next:
I hope you enjoy this simple spanish rice recipe! It's quick, flavorful, and perfect for making ahead. If you give it a try, please share a photo with me over on Instagram.
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 14 ounces broth
- 4 ounces tomato sauce
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan, add rice, and stir until rice begins to lightly toast.
- Add in garlic, salt, and cumin. Gently stir and cook until garlic is fragrant.
- Stir in tomato sauce and broth, then turn up the heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and cover with lid.
- Simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes then remove from heat. Fluff with a fork and serve!