Quick and easy 2-ingredient vegan buttermilk recipe! Perfect substitute for baking cakes, making homemade pancake batter, and more.
Here's step by step instructions how to make vegan buttermilk in 10 minutes tops! There's currently only 1 vegan buttermilk brand you can buy in stores and it's nearly $6.
This buttermilk vegan substitute is significantly cheaper, using plant based milk and vinegar or lemon juice.
Is buttermilk vegan?
First things first! Unfortunately, buttermilk is not vegan. It’s made from fermented milk, which contains dairy. Buttermilk is a common ingredient used in baking, known for its tangy taste and leavening power that results in tender, soft, and fluffy baked goods.
Why you'll love this recipe
- It's lactose free!!
- This dairy free buttermilk substitute is creamy and tangy!
- It's a versatile, healthy alternative to use in place of regular buttermilk.
- Using this recipe is an excellent time saver when you don't have any on hand.
Making homemade buttermilk from scratch is super simple. Even easier when it's veganized! Here's what you'll need:
- Vegan milk (see notes below)
- Apple cider vinegar
What kind of vegan milk should I should?
The best non dairy substitutes for buttermilk are unsweetened almond milk or soy milk. However, I've had success with oat milk as well!
Apple cider vinegar substitute
If you don't have ACV on hand, use lemon juice or white vinegar instead. You'll get the same reaction, so no worries about this simple swap.
How to Make Vegan Buttermilk
- Whisk dairy free milk together with apple cider vinegar or lemon juice.
- Let sit to curdle. This takes about 5-10 minutes.
- Stir and use in place of buttermilk!
How long does it last?
Homemade vegan buttermilk will last in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, but since it's incredibly quick to make, it's best to make it as needed.
Recipes using Vegan Buttermilk
There are several ways to use vegan buttermilk! Give it a try in my vegan waffle recipe, dairy free and egg free pancakes, french toast, biscuits, muffins, vegan cake, cupcakes, even fried food like these air fryer pickles.
Want more dairy free and egg free alternatives that are perfect for vegan baking and cooking? Check these out:
Vegan Buttermilk Substitute
- 1 cup dairy free milk soy milk, almond milk, or oat milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar substitute with lemon juice or white vinegar
- Whisk together dairy free milk and apple cider vinegar. Let rest for 5-10 minutes to curdle. Stir and use in place of buttermilk!