This dairy-free and egg-free vanilla cake with chocolate frosting is quick, easy, and vegan friendly!
If you have food allergies or intolerances, you're in the right place! A couple months ago I shared a recipe for easy vegan chocolate cupcakes and got a few follow up questions about how to make an allergy-friendly cake.
It happened at the most perfect time as I was working on a piece for Taste of Home and had my 28th birthday coming up! This dairy-free, milk-free, butter-free, and egg-free cake is perfect for birthdays or any celebration.
Vanilla Depression Cake Recipe
Also known as a Crazy Cake, Wacky Cake, War Cake, or Milkless Eggless Cake. This dessert got its name during The Great Depression, when ingredients were in limited supply. The ingredients needed for this vanilla depression cake with chocolate frosting include no eggs, butter, or milk!
How do you make cake without eggs, butter, or milk?
This dairy-free and egg-free 2-layer frosted cake comes together using common pantry items. Here's what you'll need:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Coconut milk
- Canola oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- Vanilla extract
Simply mix ingredients together, bake for about 30 minutes, let cool, then decorate!
FAQ AND SIMPLE SUBSTITUTIONS
What kind of dairy-free milk should I use? I suggest canned coconut milk, almond milk, or soy milk.
Can I use a different type of oil? Absolutely! Try canola oil, olive oil, coconut oil, or a different veggie oil.
Do I have to use apple cider vinegar? If you don’t have ACV, you can use white vinegar instead!
How do I decorate my cake? However you’d like! I used my reusable pastry bag and played around with different tips. If you don’t have pastry bags, fill frosting in a ziptop bag and snip the tip.
Can this recipe be adapted for gluten-free diets? Yes, use your favorite gluten-free all-purpose flour.
How do I store my dairy-free & egg-free cake? Store at room temp covered for a few days or covered in the fridge for up to a week. Keep your cake moist by storing it in an airtight container!
Want cupcakes instead? Use this same recipe to yield 24 vegan cupcakes! Simply reduce the baking time to 15-20 minutes.
I hope you enjoy quick and easy vanilla cake as much as we do. It’s moist, light, and fluffy! If you try this recipe, please share a photo with me over on Instagram.
Dairy-Free and Egg-Free Vanilla Cake
For The Cake
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¾ cups refrigerated unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For The Frosting
- 1 cup dairy-free butter softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a smal bowl, whisk together coconut milk, sugar, oil, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla. Once combined, transfer wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into two greased 9-inch baking pans. Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Once cooked, remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes. Turn out cakes onto wire racks and let cool completely.
- To make the chocolate frosting, start by beating the softneed dairy-free butter. Add powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract and continue to beat until frosting is smooth. Frost and decorate your cake!