The margarita cocktail is a mixture of tequila, fresh lime juice, and sweetener. Serving a classic margarita up means it’s chilled and served without ice.
A classic margarita up is perfectly balanced and sure to become your new favorite drink!
When I became of legal drinking age, I always ordered the same drink my dad ordered. It served me well!
One of my favorite cocktails ever has to be a simple margarita up. Some bars call these skinny margaritas because they don't include unnecessary sugary mixes.
How to Make a Margarita Straight Up
Here's what you'll need to make the best margarita at home:
- Lime juice
- Triple sec
- Agave (optional, but recommended)
- Ice cubes
- Festive margarita glasses
Simply fill a shaker with ice cubes, add all the ingredients, shake until chilled, and strain into a cocktail coupe glass.
Easy Homemade Cocktails
Want more quick tequila based cocktail recipes? Check these out next:
I hope you enjoy this fresh lime margarita recipe as much as we do! It's light, refreshing, and perfect all year long. If you give it a try, please share a photo with me over on Instagram.
Classic Margarita Up
- 2 ounces tequila
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- ½ ounce triple sec or your favorite orange liqueur
- Squirt of agave optional for extra sweetness
- Ice cubes
- If you want a rimmed glass, run a lemon or lime wedge around the lip of the glass then roll in kosher salt.
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker over ice. Shake until chilled then strain into a margarita glass. Cheers!