This four ingredient classic aviation cocktail recipe is perfect for happy hour at home! It’s best known for its indigo hue and citrus floral flavors.
Over the past several months, I’ve really enjoyed making homemade cocktails and experimenting with new flavors and liqueurs.
My husband Zack is more of the gin drinker in our house, but this drink is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. I’m a sucker for anything with lemon juice!
The different liqueurs really make this cocktail what it is, so be sure to track down all the ingredients and try it yourself.
How to Make an Aviation Cocktail
The aviation is a retro cocktail created by Hugo Ensslin at the Hotel Wallick in New York in the early twentieth century. It’s served straight up in a cocktail glass. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Gin: We prefer Empress 1908 or Beefeater
- Maraschino Liqueur: I use Luxardo
- Crème de Violette: Rothman & Winter is great
- Lemon Juice: Fresh is best
It’s the perfect blend of sweet and tart, plus it’s super pretty!
- 1 1/2 ounces gin
- 1/2 ounce maraschino liqueur
- 1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 ounce crème de violette
- Shake ingredients on ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon twist. Cheers!