My 7-ingredient dairy free key lime pie is creamy, sweet, and tart. It's the ultimate no-bake summer dessert! This recipe is also egg free, gluten free, and soy free.
I'm a sucker for this non dairy key lime pie and crave it all year long. One bite takes you straight to summertime in Key West, Florida! Can you hear the waves and feel the sun on your skin?
Why you'll love this recipe
- Incredible texture: The cashew and coconut milk base gives it a thick consistency and firm texture. This dairy free key lime pie a delicious mousse texture that can't be beat.
- No bake dessert: You won't need to turn your oven on to make this tasty treat! To make this raw key lime pie, simply blend ingredients together, pour filling into prepared pie crust, and freeze.
- Allergy-friendly: My plant based version of this classic dessert uses no eggs and no condensed milk. It's totally dairy free, egg free, and gluten free.
- Blender: You'll need a blender or food processor to blend all of the ingredients together into a smooth and creamy filling.
- Citrus juicer: Get fresh lime juice the easy way with this lemon and lime juicer!
- Zester: This microplane grater zester is perfect for zesting fresh fruit.
Ingredient notes and substitutions
Raw cashews: Soaked cashews that are softened give your key lime pie body. You can either soak the cashews in cool water for 8 hours (overnight), or do a quick soak by boiling water and letting cashews soak in the hot water for 10 minutes.
Coconut milk: Make sure to use canned full-fat coconut milk. The extra thickness contributes to the pie's overall creaminess! For an even richer taste and texture, place the can of coconut milk or coconut cream in the fridge for about 24 hours. I love using coconut milk when baking as it's a great vegan whipping cream alternative.
Coconut oil: Refined coconut oil has a neutral taste and aroma. If you don't mind the coconut flavor, opt for organic extra-virgin coconut oil.
Lime juice + lime zest: To achieve the wonderful citrus flavor we associate with key lime pie, you'll need to juice fresh lime and grate fresh lime zest. If you can't find key limes, no worries! Regular lime juice works just fine – it's what I used!
Agave nectar: Agave is a natural sweetener that pairs perfectly with coconut and lime. If you don't have any, you may use maple syrup as an alternative. If you're not vegan, you may substitute with honey.
Pie crust: Graham cracker crust is the popular choice for a key lime pie! This gluten free graham cracker crust works great! It's what's pictured here in this post. If you're not gluten free, this vegan graham cracker crust is a great alternative to making your own.
How to make vegan key lime pie
- Combine all of the ingredients in your blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth and creamy!
- Pour the mixture into the pie crust and spread out evenly.
- Place the cashew key lime pie in the freezer or refrigerator until set and firm.
- Be patient! Do not try to slice the pie before it's fully set up.
- Top with coconut whipped cream, serve, and enjoy!
How to store leftovers
- Store leftover key lime pie covered in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- I prefer to store mine in the freezer!
- Serve frozen key lime pie by allowing it to thaw for a few minutes before slicing individual pieces.
Want more dairy free and egg free dessert? Try these next:
- Strawberry dump cake
- Pumpkin pie with coconut milk
- Dairy free and egg free cupcakes
- Vegan edible cookie dough
- 1-bowl vegan blondies
- Vegan marshmallows
- Soft and fluffy blueberry muffins
Dairy Free Key Lime Pie Recipe (Egg Free, Gluten Free, Vegan)
- 1 ½ cups raw cashews soaked & softened
- ¾ cup canned full-fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup coconut oil melted
- ½ cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- ⅓ cup agave nectar
- 1 graham cracker pie crust homemade or store bought
- Place all of the filling ingredients in a blender and blend until completely smooth. Taste and adjust lime juice/zest and agave nectar flavor, if needed.
- Pour the mixture into the pie crust and spread out evenly. Place the pie in fridge for 4-5 hours or freezer for 2-3 hours, or until set and firm.
- Slice pie once chilled, decorate with lime slices and vegan whipped cream, and enjoy!
Jenna! I made this for my family last night and they LOVED it. You could serve this dairy free option in Key West, FL and no one would be the wiser! Perfect amount of lime and creaminess! I froze mine and I loved the way it came out!
Jenna | The Urben Life
I'm so thrilled to hear that 🙂 Thank you for sharing!!