Vegan peanut butter blondies are loaded with mini dairy free chocolate chips! This recipe is quick and easy to make in 1 bowl. They bake in just 30 minutes, for the ultimate vegan dessert or snack.
This post has been sponsored by Texas Peanuts. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own!
Did you know that there are four main types of peanuts? Here in Texas, we’re the only state to grow all four varieties: Runner, Spanish, Virginia, and Valencia.
The Texas Peanut Board provides peanut research, consumer and grower educational programs, recipe ideas, and more.
Why you'll love this recipe
Vegan blondies are dense and rich, with a hint of sweetness. They'll satisfy any sweet tooth!
- They resemble a thick cookie bar, with a soft and chewy texture.
- These vegan blondies are made without eggs, without applesauce, and without chickpeas.
- They’re a great alternative to chocolate chip cookies or fudgy brownies.
- This sweet treat is great for holidays, birthdays, or any celebration.
Here's what you'll need to make the best peanut butter blondies:
These classic vegan blondie bars are made with simple ingredients and can be substituted to fit any food allergies or sensitivities.
- Butter: Instead of regular butter, these blondies use vegan butter. Do not use piping hot melted butter, let it cool off a bit. For gooey peanut butter blondies, use melted refined coconut oil instead.
- Brown sugar: Packed brown sugar makes blondies soft and fudgy. Feel free to use coconut sugar to make refined sugar free blondies.
- Peanut butter: You can use homemade or store bought peanut butter. For the best consistently, use runny and creamy peanut butter or other nut butter such as almond butter. To make nut free blondies, use sunflower butter, granola butter, or your favorite nut-free spread.
- Flax egg: The ultimate egg replacer for any eggless baking recipe! Simply stir ground flaxseed together with water to make a thick gel that acts as the binder in vegan desserts.
- Vanilla extract: Using a quality vanilla extract lends warmth and enhances the other flavors.
- Flour: Use regular all-purpose flour. To make vegan gluten free blondies, substitute with gluten-free 1 to 1 flour.
- Baking powder: This helps the blondies stay soft and gives them a little rise.
- Salt: Just a pinch to balance out the sweetness.
- Mini vegan chocolate chips: I love using mini vegan chocolate chips so there's more chocolate spread throughout the bars. Use any type of dairy free chocolate chips like white chocolate chips, semi-sweet mega chunks, or regular dark chocolate morsels.
How to make homemade peanut butter
Making peanut butter from scratch at home is surprisingly simple.
I recommend using runner peanuts for homemade peanut butter. They’re the most widely consumed variety, with a delicious flavor.
- Start by roasting 1 cup of raw peanuts in the oven at 350F for about 10 minutes.
- Immediately transfer the roasted peanuts to a food processor and pulse a few times to chop them up.
- Run the food processor for about 3-5 minutes, scraping down the sides, as needed.
What to expect
- The mixture will first transform into a dry crumbly texture.
- Then begin to clump together. (This is normal!)
- As the food processor continues to run, it'll turn into a glossy, smooth, creamy peanut butter.
- Stir in a pinch of salt and you’ve got yourself homemade pb!
This makes about a ½ cup of peanut butter, the perfect amount for our dessert bars. If you would rather use store-bought, you absolutely can!
How to make vegan blondies
My vegan blondie recipe comes together in just about 40 minutes, from start to finish.
- Cream the melted vegan butter and brown sugar.
- Stir in the peanut butter, flax egg, and vanilla extract.
- Mix in the flour and salt.
- Fold in the mini vegan chocolate chips.
- Transfer the blondie batter to baking pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Let cool, slice, serve, and enjoy!
How to serve
Allow the blondies to cool in pan before slicing into individual pieces.
Enjoy blondies for dessert with a scoop of dairy free ice cream on top.
Frequently asked questions
Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or up to 1 week in the refrigerator.
Yes, freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy, let thaw on the counter about an hour beforehand.
Peanut butter is made up of about 25% protein, making it an excellent plant-based protein source, so these might as well be named vegan protein blondies!
Looking for more vegan dessert recipes? Try these next:
- Edible Cookie Dough
- White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies
- Peppermint Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Vegan Sugar Cookies
- Coconut Oil Brownies
Vegan Blondies with Peanut Butter
- 1 ½ cups vegan butter melted
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter homemade or store-bought
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoon water)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour gluten-free, if needed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup mini vegan chocolate chips more or less, depending on preference
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a 9x13 baking pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together melted butter and brown sugar. Stir in the peanut butter, flax egg, and vanilla extract until well combined. Stir in flour and salt, then fold in chocolate chips.
- Transfer the blondie batter into the prepared baking pan and spread it out into an even layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from the oven, let cool completely, then cut into 8 even bars.