Strawberry Dump Cake comes together with layers of store-bought cake mix, strawberry pie filling, and butter. Make it dairy free, gluten free, or vegan with simple substitutions. The ultimate no fuss dessert!
This 3-ingredient dump cake recipe couldn't be easier. It bakes in under an hour, fills your kitchen with mouth watering aromas, and is downright delicious.
What is a dump cake?
You may be wondering why this delicious dessert has such an odd name. I know I was!
Dump cakes rose in popularity when Duncan Hines published their recipe in 1980. Today it has many variations, as it's incredibly easy to adapt.
We call it a dump cake because they're prepared by simply dumping the ingredients into a baking dish without mixing.
Why'll you love this recipe
- Quick and easy to make: This semi-homemade dessert tastes like you spent all day in the kitchen, when in reality it takes just about an hour.
- Serves a crowd: Celebrating a birthday, the holidays, or a special occasion? This easy strawberry dump cake recipe yields at least 6 servings. Perfect for parties and potlucks!
- Totally customizable: Not a strawberry fan? You can use any fruit filling you want. Feel free to mix up the flavor of the cake mix too.
Dump cake ingredients and substitutions
To make a homemade dump cake all you need is a layer of fruit filling, cake mix, and butter.
- White cake mix: For a dairy free dump cake or vegan dump cake, be sure to check the product labels before baking. Most cake mixes on their own are non dairy and egg free, but it's good practice to double check. You can use strawberry cake mix for a pink cake or yellow cake mix if you prefer.
- Strawberry pie filling: Craving a different flavor? Give instant pot cherry dump cake or pumpkin dump cake a try! Keep scrolling for more dump cake flavor ideas!
- Butter: Grab your favorite dairy free butter sticks. You'll be slicing them into pats of butter to top the cake with before baking. If you're not dairy free or vegan, use your favorite regular sticks of butter. No butter? No problem! Substitute with dollops solid coconut oil.
How to make a dump cake
Get ready for the easiest and best dump cake recipe!
- Step 1: Gather all your ingredients and preheat the oven to 350F.
- Step 2: Assemble the dump cake by pouring the strawberry pie filling into the baking dish. Spread the filling out evenly using a spatula. Sprinkle the cake mix over top, then top with pats of butter.
- Step 3: Bake for 45-60 minutes, let cool slightly, then serve strawberry dump cake with fresh strawberries on top and dairy free whipped cream or vegan vanilla ice cream.
Dump cake flavor ideas
If you love this recipe, try these other dump cake recipes next! Grab 1 can of your favorite pie filling and 1 box of cake mix, then get baking.
- Apple dump cake
- Blackberry dump cake
- Peach dump cake
- Banana dump cake
- Lemon dump cake
- Pineapple dump cake
Can I make a dump cake in the crockpot?
Yes, you can make slow cooker dump cake in your crock pot! Layer the ingredients in the same order and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 3-4 hours.
Frequently asked questions
The fruit filling heat from the bottom while the butter melts on top. The end result is a sweet and gooey filling with a buttery golden topping.
Your finished dessert should be gooey but not runny. Place it back in the oven until the top is golden brown. Since we're baking a dump cake without eggs, we don't have to worry about the ingredients cooking through. Rather, how "done" you want your cake to be. Keep in mind the dump cake will continue to cook and set up as it cools!
Dump cakes are similar to a cobbler with their buttery crunchy topping. The main difference is that cobbler recipes call for biscuit or pie crust toppings rather than cake mix.
To make gluten free, simply use your favorite gluten free cake mix! As always, check all labels before using.
Yes! If serving day of, you can prepare this dessert earlier in the day and let it sit out until guests arrive. To reheat, microwave portions separately or warm in the oven. If you're worried about the top getting too brown, place foil on top.
After the cake has cooled, store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 3-5 days. To reheat, scoop out the amount you want and warm in the microwave until heated through.
Yes, store in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight, then reheat in the oven or microwave until warm.
Want more easy dairy free dessert recipes? Try these next:
- 1-bowl vegan blondies
- Depression cake
- Easy vegan banana bread
- Vegan mocha bundt cake
- No-bake key lime pie
- Vegan blueberry muffins
- Edible cookie dough
- Vegan vanilla cupcakes
If you're looking for a tasty simple foolproof dessert, you're going to love this recipe!
Strawberry Dump Cake with White Cake Mix (3-Ingredient Dessert)
- 1 (21 ounce) can strawberry pie filling
- 1 (15.25 ounce) box white cake mix gluten free, if needed
- ½ cup cold butter dairy free, if needed
- Fresh strawberries sliced
- Dairy free whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Pour the strawberry pie filling into a 9x13 baking dish and spread out evenly using a spatula.
- Sprinkle the cake mix on top, making sure to cover all of the pie filling.
- Slice butter into 16 even pieces and place evenly across the baking dish and in each corner.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, until the top is golden brown the the filling is bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Serve topped with fresh sliced strawberries and dairy free whipped cream.