Strawberry Dump Cake comes together with store-bought cake mix, strawberry pie filling, and dairy-free butter. The ultimate no fuss dessert!
This 3-ingredient dump cake recipe couldn't be easier. It bakes in under an hour, fills your kitchen with mouth watering aromas, and is surprisingly addicting.
What is a dump cake?
You may be wondering why this delicious dessert has such an odd name. I know I was!
Dump cakes rose in popularity when Duncan Hines published their recipe in 1980. Today it has many variations, as it's incredibly easy to adapt.
We call it a dump cake because they're prepared by simply dumping the ingredients into a baking dish without mixing.
How to Make Dairy Free Dump Cake
If you're dairy free or looking for a vegan dump cake recipe, I've got you covered!
Most cake mixes on their own are dairy free and egg free, but be sure to check the label before baking.
- 9x13 baking dish
- White cake mix: You can use strawberry cake mix for a pink cake or yellow cake mix if you prefer.
- Strawberry pie filling: Craving a different flavor? Give cherry dump cake or pumpkin dump cake a try!
- Butter: Grab your favorite dairy free buttery sticks. You'll be slicing them into pats of butter to top the cake with before baking.
Step by Step Recipe
Get ready for the easiest and best dump cake recipe!
- Step 1: Gather all your ingredients and preheat the oven to 350F.
- Step 2: Assemble the dump cake by pouring the strawberry pie filling into the baking dish. Spread the filling out evenly using a spatula. Sprinkle the cake mix on top, then top with pats of butter.
- Step 3: Bake for 45-60 minutes, let cool slightly, then serve strawberry dump cake with fresh strawberries on top and a dollop of dairy free whipped cream.
FAQ and Tips
The fruit filling heat from the bottom while the butter melts on top. The end result is a sweet and gooey filling with a buttery golden topping.
Your finished dessert should be gooey but not runny. Place it back in the oven until the top is golden brown.
Since we're baking a dump cake without eggs, we don't have to worry about the ingredients cooking through. Rather, how "done" you want your cake to be.
Keep in mind the dump cake will continue to cook and set up as it cools!
Dump cakes are similar to a cobbler with their buttery crunchy topping. The main difference is that cobbler recipes call for biscuit or pie crust toppings rather than cake mix.
To make gluten free, simply use your favorite gluten free cake mix! As always, check all labels before using.
Yes! If serving day of, you can prepare this dessert earlier in the day and let it sit out until guests arrive. To reheat, microwave portions separately or warm in the oven. If you're worried about the top getting too brown, place foil on top.
After the cake has cooled, store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
If you're looking for a tasty simple foolproof dessert, you're going to love this recipe!
Strawberry Dump Cake with White Cake Mix (3-Ingredient Dessert)
- 9x13 baking dish
- 1 (21 ounce) can strawberry pie filling
- 1 (15.25 ounce) box white cake mix
- ½ cup cold butter sliced into 16 pats of butter
- Fresh strawberries sliced
- Dairy free whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Pour the strawberry pie filling into a 9x13 baking dish and spread out evenly using a spatula.
- Sprinkle the cake mix on top, making sure to cover all of the pie filling.
- Top with pats of butter evenly across the baking dish and in each corner.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, until the top is golden brown the the filling is bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Serve topped with fresh sliced strawberries and dairy free whipped cream.
Want more sweets and treats?
Try these dairy free dessert recipes next: