This vegan eggplant parmesan recipe is light, wholesome, and baked to perfection! Stack roasted eggplant slices with tomato and dairy free cheese for a fun twist on the classic dish.
If you're looking for the ultimate meatless meal, look no further! These healthy eggplant parmesan stacks comes together with 5 common ingredients, in just under an hour.
I love baking this in the fall and winter but it's delicious served all year long. This eggplant parmesan without breadcrumbs is a lighter and healthier take on the comforting Italian meal.
Easy Eggplant Stacks
This simple recipe is non dairy, eggless, and gluten free! It's easy to adapt, so feel free to use your favorite substitutes or alternatives.
Here's what you need:
- Eggplant: Look for an eggplant that's on the smaller side, feels heavy, and has smooth shiny skin.
- Tomato: I love beefsteak tomatoes but any large ripe tomato will work.
- Basil: Fresh is best!
- Nutritional yeast: This optional ingredient gives plant based meals a slightly cheesy nutty taste.
- Vegan mozzarella cheese: Use your favorite vegan shredded cheese!
Do you leave the skin on for eggplant parmesan?
Yes, eggplant skin is edible and nutrient-rich! If you have a larger eggplant, the skin can get tough so in that case you may want to peel before cooking.
Do you need to salt eggplant?
I suggest taking a little extra time during prep to salt the eggplant places. It helps draw out moisture and lessens the bitterness taste.
What to serve with eggplant parmesan?
How to Make Vegan Eggplant Parmigiana
Ready to make these healthy eggplant stacks? Grab your aubergine and let's get cooking!
Step 1: Prepare ingredients
Cut eggplant and tomato into about ½ inch slices. Salt generously and let sit for up to an hour. I typically try and let them sit for about 30 minutes. Rinse gently, pat dry, and set aside.
Step 2: Roast eggplant slices
Line slices of eggplant up on a baking sheet. Brush each side with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake at 425F for 20 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
Step 3: Assemble eggplant parm stacks
Lower oven temperature to 350F and prepare a 9x13 baking dish. Place half of the eggplant in the baking dish and sprinkle with basil and nutritional yeast. Top with tomato slices and additional seasoning. Continue to layer then finish with shredded cheese.
Step 4: Bake, serve, and enjoy
Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until vegan cheese is melted. Enjoy warm! Store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in the oven or microwave.
More dairy free dinner recipes
- Vegan Penne alla Vodka
- Dairy Free Fettuccine Alfredo
- Butternut Squash Mac n Cheese
- Vegan Potato Soup
- Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- Savory Tomato Galette
I hope you enjoy this baked vegan eggplant parmesan recipe as much as we do! Be sure to snap a picture and tag me on Instagram if you try it. I'd love to see your recreations!
Easy Baked Vegan Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
- 1 small-medium sized eggplant cut into ½ inch slices
- 1 large tomato cut into ½ inch slices
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil divided
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast divided
- ¼ cup shredded vegan mozzarella cheese
- Prepare ingredients by cutting the eggplant and tomato into ½ inch slices.
- Optionally, salt each generously and let sit for up to an hour. Rinse gently, pat dry, and set aside.
- Line slices of eggplant up on a baking sheet. Brush each side with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake at 425F for 20 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- Lower oven temperature to 350F and prepare a 9x13 baking dish. Place half of the eggplant in the baking dish and sprinkle with basil and nutrition yeast. Top with tomato slices and additional seasoning. Continue to layer then finish with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until vegan cheese is melted. Enjoy warm!