This beef and broccoli recipe cooks in under 30 minutes, in 1 pan. It's loaded with tender meat and fresh broccoli coated in a thick, savory homemade sauce.
Enjoy restaurant-quality beef and broccoli stir fry at home any day of the week!
Where did beef and broccoli originate?
Beef & Broccoli is a staple of North American Chinese restaurants, but the original version of the dish uses Chinese broccoli (gai lan), instead of broccoli florets.
It is believed that early Chinese immigrants couldn’t find gai lan in the US, so broccoli became the substitute, and eventually grew in popularity.
How to Make Gluten Free Beef and Broccoli
Making beef with broccoli without gluten is incredibly easy with just one simple swap! It's already dairy free and egg free, so pretty allergy friendly to begin with.
All you need is 3 ingredients for the main dish plus a handful of pantry staples for the stir fry sauce!
- Steak: This recipe calls for tender flank steak, that we'll slice very thinly into bite-sized strips.
- Broccoli: We're going to be using fresh broccoli cut into florets.
- Oil: Feel free to use olive oil, vegetable oil, avocado oil, or your favorite cooking oil.
Beef and Broccoli Sauce
- Tamari: Use gluten free tamari in place of soy sauce to make this dish gluten free!
- Brown sugar: This will help balance out the tamari and sesame oil.
- Corn starch: You could use gluten free flour as an alternative, if needed.
- Sesame oil: This is a common ingredient in Asian cooking, with a distinct flavor and aroma. Don't skip it!
- Garlic: Use more or less depending on your personal preference.
- Ginger: Fresh is best and adds an extra layer of flavor.
- Black pepper: Just a pinch!
PS: If you haven't tried ButcherBox yet, you really should! They have an awesome deal going on right now.
One-Pan Beef and Broccoli
This meal comes together in under 30 minutes, with a majority of the time spent prepping.
If serving over rice, start your rice cooker, as it takes about 30 minutes to cook.
Whisk the stir fry sauce ingredients together in a small bowl, then set aside. Prep the steak and broccoli, and let's get cooking!
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once warm, add the steak and let cook until browned, flipping once. This takes about 5 minutes.
Add in the broccoli florets and sauce to the skillet and stir to combine. Let cook for about 5 minutes, until broccoli is tender and the sauce has thickened up.
Serve beef and broccoli immediately over warm rice!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Once I made this at-home takeout recipe, I fell in love. It's been in our lunch and dinner rotation at least every other week since then.
Broccoli and Beef is:
- Easy to make
- Packed with protein
- Super saucy
- Full of flavor
More Beef Recipes to Try
If you liked this recipe, you'll enjoy these too:
- Air Fryer Frozen Hamburgers
- Irish Beef Stew
- Unstuffed Pepper Skillet
- Homemade Meatballs
- Tater Tot Casserole
- Easy Sloppy Joe's
I hope you love this quick recipe as much as we do!
Gluten Free Beef and Broccoli Recipe
Beef and Broccoli Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound flank steak thinly sliced into bite-sized strips
- 1 pound broccoli cut into florets
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds to garnish
Stir Fry Sauce Ingredients
- ½ cup hot water
- ⅓ cup gluten free tamari or soy sauce
- 3 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk the stir fry sauce ingredients together, then set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once warm, add the steak and cook until browned on each side, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and the sauce to the skillet and stir to combine. Let cook for another 5 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!