I couldn’t even tell you the last time I had a sloppy joe. My mom used to make our family tex-mex sloppy joes, which were amazing – but I’ve been wanting to have that sweet and savory taste that comes from a sloppy joe. I decided to add onion and green bell pepper, but that’s completely optional. We just wanted to give this a little something extra. And don’t forget those baked beans for the side! Calorie counting and portion control stood no chance at this dinner.
Homemade Sloppy Joes
1 pound ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
8 ounces tomato sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
2-3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon mustard
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Black pepper, to taste
Sides: Baked beans & pickles
1. Using a large skillet over low-medium heat, drizzle olive oil and saute garlic until fragrant. Add in onion and bell pepper and cook until softened.
2. Once softened, remove veggies and set aside. Add ground beef to skillet and increase heat to medium-high. Cook until no longer pink, breaking apart pieces and stirring.
3. As the meat browns, cook your baked beans according to directions on the can. Then in a medium bowl, stir together tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper.
4. Once meat is fully cooked, drain any grease in the skillet. Pour the sauce over browned meat, stir until well combined, then bring to a simmer.
5. Toast hamburger buns in broiler or toaster while the meat and sauce come to a simmer.
6. Once everything is warm, serve the meat and sauce on hamburger buns with baked bean and a pickle on the side.
Like what you read? Click here to subscribe to my email list!
The Urben Life is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com