Dairy-Free Baked Mac and Cheese is creamy and delicious, topped with a crispy breadcrumb topping. This classic comfort food is vegan and can easily be altered for gluten-free diets.
When my husband travels for work, that's when I really go crazy in the kitchen! He is not a fan of dairy-free or vegan cheese and despises my precious nutritional yeast.
So, when he is away – I make alllll the cheesey nooch-filled goodness. Hello, Dairy-Free Baked Mac and Cheese!!
I've had veganized baked mac on my list to make for awhile now! It's just so cozy and comforting, what's not to like? Plus, it feeds a family or in my case, makes perfect leftovers for a week.
I'm going to be honest with you, I almost stopped half way to share the creamiest vegan or dairy-free macaroni and cheese recipe but I was seriously craving that crumbly topping. I share this so that if you have that urge, I won't judge you 😉
The cashew-based vegan cheese sauce is just so creamy! Make sure you let the cashews soak overnight so they blend super well the following day.
Want more recipes? Grab my delicious dairy-free holiday ebook with 30 recipes!
How to Make Dairy-Free Baked Mac and Cheese
Start by soaking your cashews, that's the key to the entire dish! Once your cashews are soaked and soft, preheat oven and bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta of choice according to the directions on the package.
In a blender or food processor, combine vegan cheese sauce ingredients and blend until perfectly smooth. Once the pasta is cooked, drain water and return to pot.
Stir in the vegan cheese sauce and treat yourself with a spoonful (or two) of delicious creamy vegan macaroni and cheese! Transfer to baking dish and top with breadcrumb topping. Bake for 25 minutes then enjoy!
Don't let a cashew-based sauce or dressing intimidate you! Once you let them properly soak, the result is a perfectly silky smooth sauce.
Here are a few of my other favorite cashew-based recipes!
Dairy-Free Baked Mac and Cheese
- 16 ounces elbow pasta substitute gluten-free, if needed
Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 1 ½ cups raw cashews soaked overnight
- 1 ½ cups dairy-free milk
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs + 1 tablespoon olive oil substitute gluten-free, if needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, drain the soaking cashews, and bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package.
- As the pasta cooks, combine vegan cheese sauce ingredients together in a blender or food processor. Blend until silky smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add additional dairy-free milk one tablespoon at a time. Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed.
- Once the pasta is cooked to al dente, drain and add back to pot. Stir in vegan cheese sauce until combined. Transfer to prepared baking dish and top with breadcrumb topping.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, remove from oven, let cool for about 10 minutes, then serve warm.