Mediterranean Quinoa Bowls with Cashew Tzatziki Sauce comes together with mixed greens, quinoa, cucumber, tomato, red onion, green onion, and olives.
Quinoa bowls are one of my favorite lunches. I don't consider myself somebody who meal preps, but as I sit down to write this blog post, maybe I am? I tend to make one or two meals for lunch then portion them out throughout the week. I have always hated leftovers, but for some reason lunch bowls are different. Easy to prepare, not too much prep work, and effortless to throw together and eat!
For this bowl, I actually decided to toss in some mixed greens – so do we call it a salad now?! I'll keep it named as a bowl since I really didn't go too heavy on the greens. Once I laid down my bed of lettuce, I scooped on a nice spoonful (or two) of quinoa, chopped veggies, creamy and delicious cashew tzatziki sauce, and treated myself to a few of my homemade pita bread wedges.
This Mediterranean quinoa bowl might be my favorite to date because of all it has going on. From the healthy greens base and the fluffy quinoa to the soft pita bread and crunchy veggies, this lunch has it going on. You can't forget about the mouth-watering sauce either, though! That might be the star of this show.
For a bowl that has so much going on, you might think the prep would be insane but honestly, it couldn't be easier. To make the sauce, toss the ingredients in your blender and mix until smooth, then let chill in your fridge. Throw the quinoa in your rice cooker and let it do all the work for you. As it cooks, chop your veggies – and there ya go, time for lunch!
I used to shy away from making sauces that required cashews, but to be honest, they're always such a treat and soooo creamy! Like, unbelievably smooth and delicious. Please do yourself a favor and try it out now – don't wait for years like I did haha 🙂 The other interesting ingredient that's new around here is hemp seeds. I have been loving them as salad toppings but with their soft texture, they're perfect for blending into sauces too.
Mediterranean Quinoa Bowls with Cashew Tzatziki Sauce
To make the quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth
To make the sauce
- ½ cup cashews soaked for at least 4 hours
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- ½ cucumber diced
- ½ tablespoon dill
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bag mixed greens
- ½ cucumber sliced
- 1 tomato sliced
- ½ red onion sliced
- 1 bunch green onion chopped
- 1 jar kalamata olives
- To cook quinoa, rinse in a strainer under cool water then transfer to a rice cooker. Mix in vegetable broth and cook.
- To make the sauce, place all ingredients into a blender and mix until smooth and creamy. Depending on desired consistency, you may need to add more water, lemon juice, or tahini. Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed.
- To serve, divide mixed greens portions out and make a bed at the bottom of each bowl. Place quinoa portions on top, then top with the desired amount of cucumber, tomato, red onion, green onion, and olives. Drizzle with cashew tzatziki sauce.