Chickpea Kale Caesar Salad comes together in under 30 minutes, with protein-packed ingredients! It's dairy-free, egg-free, gluten-free, and vegan-friendly.
I don't think of myself as a big meal planner, but I actually do a fair bit of meal prepping in the beginning of the week. I love making big salads or bowls that we can quickly grab from the fridge for lunch!
This salad checks all the boxes for a quick and easy make-ahead lunch, or even pre-made dinner side salad. It's nourishing and filling, yet light and bright.
Our Caesar Salad Swaps ?
To make this salad allergy-friendly and vegan, we swapped out a few common caesar salad ingredients. Instead of croutons, we're using crispy chickpeas! In our dressing, we're substituting capers for anchovies. And to make our salad a little more hearty, we're using chopped kale instead of romaine lettuce. Feel free to omit the cooked quinoa, but I love it for an added little boost.
Chickpea Kale Caesar Salad Ingredients ?
Here are the 3 main ingredients you'll need!
How to Massage Kale ?
Massaging your kale helps make it more tender and less bitter. Start by stripping the leaves from the stems. Wash and dry the leaves then tear or give them a rough chop. Place in a large bowl with dressing or olive oil. Using your hands, massage until the kale starts to soften, about 3 minutes.
Chickpea Kale Caesar Salad
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (optional)
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch kale stems removed and chopped
For the Vegan Caesar Dressing
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon capers with brine
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add drained and rinsed chickpeas to skillet and sauté until softened and slightly crispy.
- Meanwhile, prepare the kale by removing the stems and giving it a rough chop. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vegan caesar dressing ingredients then pour on top of chopped kale. Massage until tender.
- Stir desired amount of cooked quinoa and crispy chickpeas into the bowl with kale and serve immediately. Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for a few days.