Smashed Chickpea & Avocado Toast takes your morning toast to the next level with turmeric seasoned garbanzo beans topped with DIY everything bagel seasoning!
With cold and flu season approaching, I believe your best defense starts in the kitchen. Foodie favorite, turmeric is a rich yellow powder that is high in antioxidants and considered a natural anti-inflammatory. If you're looking for a quick immunity boost or want to ready yourself for the impending sniffles, it's time to stock up on superfoods!
I used to get sick all the time and *knock on wood* I haven't had the flu in years. I did have a bit of a rough go last year with a cold for a few weeks, but nothing a little (okay, a lot) of tea and soup couldn't help. This year I'm preparing my body for war, I have a busy next few months and don't want to fall ill and lethargic.
We've beefed up our spinach and kale intake, have roasted sweet potatoes almost weekly, and find ways to incorporate leeks, mushrooms, tempeh, and lean meat into our dinners.
Additionally, I have started making our Taco Tuesday tacos with chickpeas rather than ground meat. #HusbandApproved! Chickpeas contain vitamin K, folate, phosphorus, zinc, copper, manganese, choline, and selenium. They're also a great source of protein and fiber, with their high levels of iron, vitamin B6, and magnesium.
When I started this recipe, I was just going to include turmeric spiced chickpeas smashed on toast. But then I remembered avocados contain nearly 20 vitamins and minerals. So naturally, I had to include avos on this toast!
I don't know about you, but sometimes I just crave a crunch. This toast demands a topping with a bite because the avocado and smashed chickpeas are softened. What better seasoning than everything bagel? Sure, you could run out to the store but why not DIY?
I hope you enjoy my immune boosting toast and have fun with the possibilities! Need some spice? Drizzle on hot sauce. Want to pack even more health benefits onto your toast? Sprinkle on some nutritional yeast flakes.
Smashed Chickpea & Avocado Toast
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons turmeric
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 avocado
- 4 slices toast
- Everything Bagel Seasoning: 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, 2 teaspoons poppy seeds, 1 ½ teaspoons dried minced onion, 1 ½ teaspoons dried minced garlic, ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Combine chickpeas, olive oil, lemon juice, turmeric, garlic powder, paprika, and cumin in a microwavable bowl. Heat for 1 minute then stir well.
- Mash the soft mixture, leaving some chickpeas whole.
- Slice avocado and divide into 4 servings. Spread onto each piece of toast.
- Top with smashed chickpea and desired amount of everything bagel seasoning.