Pistachio Basil Pesto spread across fluffy homemade flatbread dough topped with dairy-free cheese, kalamata olives, peppers, and more is sure to find a place on your dinner table either as an appetizer or for dinner.
I received free samples of Wonderful Pistachios mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Wonderful Pistachios and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
Lately, when it comes to dinner, I’m all about ease and efficiency. Since I also try to make healthy or healthy-ish recipes, sometimes I have to get creative with ingredients. Pistachios are known as The Skinny NutTM because they are one of the lowest calorie and lowest fat snack nuts.
So what's the difference between flatbread and pizza? To me, a pizza has very distinct details such as a traditional sauce, cheese, and toppings. A flatbread can get away with fewer toppings and unconventional sauces. That's why I decided to call this recipe a flatbread rather than pizza because the pesto isn't your normal sauce – but it does deliver on flavor and texture!
If you have tried basil pesto pizza and enjoyed it, you'll be obsessed with pistachio basil pesto flatbread. What's great about this pesto is you can spread it on flatbreads or pizza, like we're doing, or serve it on crostini, spread on sandwiches, or even mix it in pasta.
The flavors from the pistachios and basil blend beautifully in a spreadable pesto sauce for the base of your flatbread. Of course, I sprinkled on dairy-free cheese first, then topped with kalamata olives, salami, bell pepper, and red onion. Here's my secret to taking this flatbread to the next level: Right before serving, drizzle some honey all over! Seriously, honey is a game changer here. Try it and tell me what you think!
Pistachio Basil Pesto Flatbread
For the dough
- 1 envelope instant dry yeast
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the pesto
- 1 cup Wonderful Pistachios
- 1 ½ cups packed basil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Sliced mushrooms
- Diced red onion
- Kalamata olives
- Dairy-free mozzarella cheese
- To make the dough, in the bowl of a stand mixer, combine water and yeast. Let sit for about 10 minutes. Mix in bread flour, sugar, and kosher salt. As the mixer runs, add in olive oil. Beat until the dough forms into a solid ball. Transfer to a large greased bowl and cover in a warm place. Let double in size for about an hour. Once the dough has doubled in size, turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and divide into two equal pieces. Cover each piece of dough and let rest for 10 minutes.
- As the dough rests, mix all of the pistachio basil pesto ingredients together in a food processor. Pulse until combined then set aside.
- Preheat oven to 475F. Place each piece of dough onto a separate prepared baking sheet. Working with your hands, gently spread out dough working from the center out.
- Top flatbread starting with the pistachio basil pesto. Sprinkle on dairy-free cheese followed by other toppings. Bake for 15 minutes and enjoy!