Individual Tomato Basil Tarts are dairy-free, egg-free, and vegan. These savory bites come together in under 30 minutes with less than 5 ingredients.
I recently found out that quite a few store-bought puff pastry products are dairy-free and egg-free, some even suitable for vegans. Nobody ever told me otherwise, I just figured they must be full of butter and require an egg wash. Well that’s just not the case and I’m here for it!
Typically, I’m all for making your own dough but sometimes the convenience factor comes out on top. These tarts make a great appetizer and savory finger food. The flakiness from the puff pastry pairs perfectly with the juicy tomato.
Earlier this month, I told my husband that we need to lay off the homemade pizza. When I told him I was experimenting with these tomato basil tarts, he made a joke how these are essentially the same thing… To each his own, hah!
We started our Aerogarden back up a few weeks ago, so we have a garden full of fresh basil and other herbs. It’s just so tempting to want to make pizza and pesto everyday.
They take almost no time at all to prep and bake for about 15 minutes, can’t beat that! I think they would be great for a simple holiday party treat.
Additionally, if you need to make more, I bet you could slice smaller even squares in the dough and forego the folding. I haven’t tested this so if you give it a go, be sure to share how it worked out for you.
How to make Individual Tomato Basil Tarts
The puff pastry I bought came rolled with parchment paper, so that was one less step! If yours doesn’t, simply prepare a baking sheet then roll out puff pastry. Using a dough cutter, bench scrape, or pizza cutter, cut 8 even rectangles in the puff pastry then top with ingredients. Bring the opposite sides of each section together then bake and enjoy!
WANT MORE TASTY RECIPES DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX? SUBSCRIBE HERE!
Individual Tomato Basil Tarts
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 2 large tomatos sliced
- 3 large fresh basil leaves chopped
- Vegan mozzarella style shredded cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F. Roll out the puff pastry and transfer to a baking sheet. Some come already rolled with parchment paper, if yours doesn’t, prepare a baking sheet then roll out puff pastry.
- Cut 8 even rectangles in the puff pastry. Top each section with your desired amount of cheese and one slice of tomato. Sprinkle with fresh basil, salt, and pepper.
- Bring the opposite sides of each section together, then bake for 15 minutes. Tarts are ready when cheese is melted and puff pastry is golden. Serve and enjoy immediately!
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $16.99Was: $24.00