This simple Southern Succotash recipe is fresh, vibrant, and full of flavor. It makes for a delicious veggie-filled side dish or affordable entree.
I remember the first time I ever saw a succotash recipe. It was on an summer-themed episode of The Kitchn! The vegetable packed dish seemed so easy to recreate and perfect for backyard bbqs, parties, or simply dining al fresco at home.
What is succotash?
Succotash has Native American roots and several variations.
The two essential ingredients are corn and lima beans. From there, you can adapt this recipe to fit your preferences.
Common ingredients include onion, bell pepper, and tomato.
Simply stir everything together in a large skillet, season, and serve.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Quick and easy to make
- Looks impressive
- Dairy free
- Gluten free
- Plant based
- Just 5 main ingredients
Vegetarian Succotash Recipe
This vegan succotash recipe without bacon is so flavorful, you won't even miss the meat.
Use fresh summer produce or frozen veggies to enjoy succotash all year long!
- Avocado oil
- Lima beans
- White onion
- Red bell pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Add okra, zucchini, squash, or edamame to your succotash!
- Use cherry or grape tomatoes instead of canned tomatoes.
- Garnish with fresh herbs like basil, parsley, thyme, or green onion.
Try these recipes loaded with veggies next!
- Vegan Street Corn Dip
- Easy Bruschetta Recipe
- Balsamic Pasta Salad
- The Ultimate Crudite Platter
- Vegan Macaroni Salad
- How to Cook Shishito Peppers
- Roasted Root Vegetables
Southern Succotash Recipe
- 3 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 small white onion chopped
- 3 cups frozen corn thawed
- 2 cups frozen lima beans thawed
- 1 small red bell pepper chopped
- 2 10-ounce cans diced tomatoes + green chilies drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh basil to garnish
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and corn to skillet. Cook until onion is translucent and corn begins to turn golden.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and let cook for about 5 minutes. Or until the liquid from the veggies evaporates.
- Transfer succotash to a serving plate and top with chopped fresh basil.
- Serve immediately or let chill in the fridge.