Wondering how to make breakfast tacos without eggs? I've got you covered! They're a simple and delicious egg free breakfast with endless variations.
As a Texan, breakfast tacos hold a special place in my heart.
Growing up in Houston, they were a morning staple. In college, up in Dallas, I basically survived on breakfast burritos.
To this day, you can bet I’m making homemade tacos for breakfast at least once a week!
Breakfast Taco Ingredients
To make my no egg breakfast tacos, you'll need just a few ingredients.
- Crispy potatoes
- Oven bacon
- Warm refried beans
- Fluffy flour tortillas
How to cook potatoes for breakfast tacos
I prefer cooking chopped or diced potatoes in the oven. The end result is perfectly crisp on the outside and soft on the inside.
Preheat your oven to 400F. Chop the potatoes, toss in a little oil, season, then roast in the oven for 40 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
Alternatively, if you want to make crispy potatoes on the stovetop, warm about a tablespoon of oil in a large skillet. Toss in diced or chopped potatoes, cover the skillet with a lid, and let cook for about 10 minutes. Remove the lid, season, and saute until perfectly crisp.
Cooking bacon in the oven
Since we already have the oven on for the potatoes, might as well pop the bacon in there too!
Making oven bacon is one of my newest life hacks. Gone are the days of splashing and popping oil!
To make bacon in the oven, preheat to 400F and line a baking sheet with tin foil. Place the bacon slices in a single layer and bake for about 20 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
The end result is perfectly cooked bacon that's as crispy as you like, without the mess and greasy cleanup!
Don't want to turn the oven on? Cook the bacon on the stove by heating about a tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Line bacon into your pan, making sure they don't overlap and fry for about 5 minutes on each side. Repeat until all of the bacon strips are cooked to your liking.
Best beans for bacon breakfast tacos
The best beans for breakfast tacos are your favorite type of bean. I love using refried beans because it acts as glue to keep everything together.
Feel free to use black beans, pinto beans, chickpeas, or your favorite legume!
Beans pack a nutritional punch to make these healthy breakfast tacos packed with protein and fiber.
Flour tortillas vs corn tortillas
I go back and forth between the two! Use what you have on hand or what you prefer.
Some days I love the soft and fluffy street taco style flour tortillas, but other times I reach for the trusty corn tortillas.
Whichever you prefer, make sure to warm them up properly before loading in your fillings.
I like to heat my tortillas using a cast iron comal that's ripping hot!
Eggless Breakfast Taco Recipe
If you're looking for the ultimate breakfast without eggs, this recipe is for you!
Cook the potatoes and bacon in the oven, warm the beans on the stove, wrap everything together in a tortilla or two, and enjoy. It's really as simple as that.
What to serve with breakfast tacos
I like to serve my brekkie tacos with salsa or pico de gallo and sometimes even guacamole or avocado slices.
If you're a fan of cilantro, garnishing your tacos with fresh cilantro adds extra flavor and brightness to the dish.
Need some hair of the dog? Serve alongside a bloody mary!
Try the latest TikTok trend and make the tortilla wrap hack.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you'll love my other dairy free and egg free breakfast and brunch ideas!
Substitution and Storage Tips
- To make gluten free breakfast tacos, use corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas.
- To make vegan breakfast tacos, omit the bacon! Try using a plant based alternative or meatless substitution.
- Store taco fillings in an airtight container or bag in the fridge for up to a few days.
- Reheat leftovers in the microwave until warm.
- Want more filling ideas? Try these: Seasonal sautéed vegetables, tofu scramble or vegan egg, dairy free cheese, red onion, roasted sweet potatoes, and fresh lime juice.
Breakfast Tacos without Eggs (Crispy Potatoes, Bacon, and Beans)
- 1 cup chopped potatoes
- 1 pound bacon
- 1 can refried beans
- 8 small torillas flour or corn
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Toss potatoes in about a tablespoon of oil and season with salt, pepper, and any other spices you prefer. Spread onto a baking sheet in an even layer and roast for 40 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- Meanwhile, line another baking sheet with foil and arrange bacon in a single layer.
- Toss the potatoes then place back in the oven with the bacon-lined baking sheet. Cook for 20 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- Warm the refried beans either in a saucepan on the stove or in a microwave safe bowl.
- Once potatoes and bacon are cooked and beans are heated through, warm a comal or skillet over high-medium heat. Heat tortillas until warm then load up with taco fillings.
- Serve with pico de gallo or salsa, guacamole or avocado slices, fresh cilantro, and lime juice.