These Crispy & Crunchy Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts are the ultimate bite-sized appetizer, perfect for parties or any occasion! This recipe is easy to make with a sticky sweet homemade sauce.
I grew up indulging in bacon wrapped water chestnuts during the holidays, but these little snacks are perfect any time of the year.
They're super simple to make, take no time at all, perfect to prep ahead, and downright delicious! Each bite is loaded with a salty umami taste and crunchy texture.
Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts with BBQ Sauce
You can make this recipe in the oven or using an air fryer! Here's what you need:
- Water chestnuts: Grab a couple cans of water chestnuts at the store. They're typically found in the international aisle.
- Bacon: Look for center cut bacon that's not too thick.
- Sauce: For our lip-smacking sauce recipe, we'll need brown sugar, barbeque sauce, and soy sauce.
- Toothpicks: To secure these bites!
How to Cook in the Oven
The complete recipe is just a little bit farther down on the page, but here's a quick overview with tips and variations!
Step 1: Prepare bacon by slicing it into thirds, then whisk sauce ingredients together.
Step 2: Wrap each slice of bacon around a water chestnut and secure with a toothpick. Place in a 9x13 baking dish and brush with sauce.
Step 3: Bake at 400F for 30 minutes, flipping and brushing with extra sauce halfway through.
Can you make these in the air fryer?
Heck yeah, you can! Instead of baking the bacon-wrapped water chestnuts, air fry them at 375F for about 10 minutes, flipping and saucing halfway through.
FAQ and Recipe Variations
Absolutely! These can be prepped or fully cooked ahead of time. Reheat in oven or air fryer for best results.
In the rare occasion you have leftovers, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Of course! To make this recipe gluten free, use tamari instead of soy sauce and make sure your bbq sauce is gf friendly.
More bacon recipes
- Thanksgiving Stuffing Muffins
- Turkey Bacon Wrapped Dates
- Bacon Breakfast Tacos
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
- Bacon Cornbread
- BLT Pasta Salad
- Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts (in the oven or air fryer)
- 10 ounces bacon cut into thirds
- 2 (8 ounce) cans whole water chestnuts drained
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup bbq sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Wrap each slice of bacon around a water chestnut and secure with a toothpick.
- Arrange in a 9x13 baking dish then set aside. Whisk the brown sugar, barbecue sauce, and soy sauce together to create the sauce.
- Brush the sauce over each bacon wrapped water chestnut then bake for 30 minutes, brushing with remaining sauce halfway through.
- Enjoy! Please note that serving size may vary.