Here's how to make the best crispy ground beef flautas in the air fryer! These loaded rolled tortillas cook in 10 minutes, for the ultimate taco night dinner, party food, or game day appetizer.
My go-to order at our local authentic Mexican food restaurant is either flautas with guacamole or crispy tacos!
Ever since receiving my air fryer for Christmas last year, I've been on a huge air frying kick. It's just so simple to cook your family favorites in a fun way.
These ground beef flautas are totally customizable, so grab your fave fillings, and let's get cooking.
What's the difference between taquitos and flautas?
First off, let's define what a flauta is! Flautas are usually made with flour tortillas are rolled up with beef, chicken, beans, and more.
It's traditionally then crisp-fried or deep-fried then served with plenty of condiments. Taquitos or rolled tacos, are similar but typically made with corn tortillas.
How to cook flautas in the air fryer
Our air fried flautas are similar to the original, the only main difference being that we're cooking them in the air fryer.
These air fryer flautas are also dairy free, as I'm cooking them without cheese!
To make these delicious ground beef and refried bean flautas, spread a layer of beans on each tortilla then top with cooked and seasoned ground beef. Roll the tortillas up tightly and press seam side down in your prepared air fryer basket. Spray with cooking oil and cook at 350F for about 10 minutes.
Tip: Be sure to check on your flautas, as each air fryer cooks a little differently. You may only need to keep these in there for 5-6 minutes!
Step-by-Step Video Instructions
Check out this quick video to watch how these flautas come together!
Like I mentioned, this recipe is easy to adapt so feel free to make these flautas your own!
- Protein: I used ground beef but you can use ground turkey, chicken, beans, or even meatless crumbles.
- Taco seasoning: Typically, I'll make homemade taco seasoning mix but store-bought is fine too!
- Refried beans: I like the spreadability of soft and fluffy refried beans and suggest you use them as a base. Especially since we're not adding cheese. It kind of acts like the glue that holds everything together and prevents the tortilla from unraveling and coming undone.
Serving and Storage Tips
For a wholesome and filling meal, serve flautas with my veggie taco salad! Store leftovers in an airtight bag or container in the fridge for a few days.
To freeze fully cooked flautas, let them completely cool. Transfer to a freezer bag, remove the air, and freeze for up to 3 months.
To reheat, either air fry for a few minutes or pop in the microwave!
Tips & Frequently Asked Questions
If you don't have an air fryer, cook these in the oven at 400F for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
To make this recipe suitable for vegans, use a meatless filling and ensure the refried beans are vegetarian safe.
To make gluten free flautas, use gluten free tortillas!
I enjoy these with my hands, dipped into avocado mash, guacamole, dairy free chile con queso, or salsa.
Here is the toaster oven air fryer that I use and love!
Want more tasty non dairy recipes? Check these out next:
- Dairy Free Enchiladas
- Instant Pot Tamales
- Dairy Free 5 Layer Dip
- Vegan Taco Zucchini Boats
- Chickpea Taco Salad
I hope you enjoy this quick and easy flauta recipe as much as we do! They're crunchy, kid-friendly, versatile, and the perfect meal to switch up your dinner rotation. If you give them a try, please share a photo with me over on Instagram.
Best Crispy Ground Beef Flautas (In The Air Fryer)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 1 can refried beans
- 8 medium-sized tortillas
- Cooking spray
- Warm a little oil in a large skillet. Cook the meat until browned and cooked through. Season with taco seasoning mix or homemade blend. Stir to combine, remove from heat, and set aside.
- Spray air fryer basket with cooking oil.
- Spread a layer of refried beans on each tortilla and spoon portioned ground beef on top. Roll the tortillas tightly and place seam side down on the air fryer basket. You should get 8-10 flautas.
- Spray the flautas with cooking oil and cook at 350F for about 10 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining then serve.