Blistered Shishito Peppers are lightly seasoned, easy to make, and bursting with flavor! Here's 3 methods to cooking shishito peppers this season.
Have you ever tried a shishito pepper? I first gave them a try a few years ago out at happy hour!
They pack a bit of a punch, but are so dang delicious with their charred outside and flaky salt topping.
How to Make Blistered Shishito Peppers
You can cook shishito peppers a few ways: In a skillet with a little oil, air fry, or roasted in the oven.
To saute shishito peppers in a pan or skillet, heat about a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the peppers and let char, turning frequently, until they blister. Toss with salt and serve.
Air Fryer Shishito Peppers
Air fried shishito peppers are the ultimate appetizer for any occasion! Start by washing and patting dry each pepper. Poke a hole in each pepper, to avoid them from bursting.
Carefully place the peppers in the air fryer and coat with your preferred cooking spray. Cook for about 6-8 minutes, tossing once halfway through.
Once cooked, remove from air fryer and sprinkle on salt. Serve warm! Eat with your fingers but don’t eat the stems.
Oven Roasted Shishito Peppers
Prepare the peppers the same way and preheat oven to 450F. Coat peppers in a little olive oil then roast for 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with salt, and enjoy!
Shishito Peppers FAQ
Are shishito peppers spicy? In general, they're more mild than a jalapeno.
What do you serve with shishito peppers? I typically just sprinkle some maldon salt on top. They're great with a creamy dipping sauce too!
Are shishito peppers healthy? Yes, they provide a great source of fiber, antioxidants, vitamin C, and minerals.
Are they gluten-free? These blistered shishito peppers are gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, vegan, paleo, and whole30 approved.
How do I eat them? Shishito peppers make a great finger food for snacks or as a side dish.
Want more quick and easy appetizer recipes? Check these out next:
- Dairy-Free Spinach Artichoke Bruschetta
- Vegan Jalapeno Poppers
- Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
- Vegan Air Fryer Fried Pickles
- Melon Cucumber Salsa
I hope you enjoy my charred shishito peppers recipe! If you give them a try, please share a photo with me over on Instagram.
How to Cook Shishito Peppers (3 Ways)
- 8 ounces shishito peppers
- Cooking spray or oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash and pat dry the peppers, then poke a hole in each pepper to avoid bursting.
To Cook in A Skillet
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shishito peppers and sauté, turning frequently, until they blister and char. Toss with salt and serve.
To Air Fry
- Carefully place peppers in the air fryer and coat with your preferred cooking spray. Cook for 6-8 minutes, tossing once halfway through. Once cooked, remove from air fryer and sprinkle on salt.
To Roast in Oven
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 450F and coat peppers in a little olive oil. Roast for 8-10 minutes, remove from oven, sprinkle with sea salt, and enjoy.