These light and fluffy vegan salted caramel cupcakes are topped with a creamy buttercream frosting and drizzled in homemade caramel sauce.
This post has been sponsored by Sprouts Farmers Market. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own!
The second September rolls around, you can find me in the kitchen playing with all the fall flavors. Hello pumpkin spice, salted caramel, and apple cinnamon!
Today I'm sharing one of my favorite fall-inspired cupcake recipes. They're soft, indulgent, and oh so comforting. Pair em with some warm coffee or cocoa for a real treat!
In addition to fall baking, I also enjoy decorating our house with those little pumpkins. They're just so cute! I've been on the hunt for them these past couple weeks and finally spotted them at my local Sprouts.
Naturally, I grabbed as many as I could, then headed inside. Most of the ingredients for these frosted caramel cupcakes are common pantry staples, but I needed to restock a few extra ingredients.
I love that I can get all the dairy-free ingredients I need to make my favorite fall baked goods at Sprouts. Plus find a cinnamon scented broom stick on the way to checkout!
How to Make Salted Caramel Sauce
What really makes these cupcakes special is the homemade caramel drizzled on top. This sauce is vegan, dairy-free, and gluten-free! Here's what you need:
- Coconut cream (or coconut milk)
- Brown sugar
- Vanilla flavor (or vanilla extract)
- Sea salt flakes
- Coconut oil
Combine the coconut cream, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Let simmer for around 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Once the sauce has thickened, remove from heat and stir in the coconut oil. Let the caramel sauce cool completely, then transfer to an air-tight container.
The sauce should be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Use it to drizzle on your favorite fall treats and snacks!
Homemade Salted Caramel Cupcakes
These salted caramel cupcakes are layered with flavor from top to bottom. I promise your patience waiting for the cupcakes to rise, the caramel to cool, and frosting to whip will all be worth it when you take your first bite.
Start by stirring the cupcake ingredients together, transfer to a muffin pan, then bake for about 20 minutes.
As the cupcakes cool, warm the caramel sauce together on the stovetop. This takes about 30 minutes to come together. Once the caramel is nice and thick, remove from heat, and let cool completely.
The final step is to make your vegan vanilla buttercream frosting! Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat softened plant-based butter, then add in powdered sugar and vanilla. Continue to beat together until well combined and fluffy.
To decorate cupcakes, pipe frosting on top and drizzle with caramel sauce. Enjoy immediately or store in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
I hope you enjoy these caramel cupcakes as much as we do. They’re moist, rich, and will totally satisfy that sweet tooth If you try this recipe, please share a photo with me over on Instagram.
Vegan Salted Caramel Cupcakes
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup dairy-free milk
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavor
Vegan Caramel Sauce
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can coconut cream
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavor
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
Vegan Buttercream Frosting
- ½ cup plant-based butter softened
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla flavor
For the Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a muffin pan with liners.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together dairy-free milk, sugar, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, oil, and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, stir to combine.
- Fill each cupcake liner half full and bake for 20 minutes, or until cooked through. Once cooked, remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to let cool completely.
For the Vegan Caramel Sauce
- Combine the coconut cream, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the sauce has thickened, remove from heat and stir in the coconut oil. Let cool completely then transfer to an air-tight container.
For the Vegan Buttercream Frosting
- Using a stand mixer, beat softened plant-based butter. Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Continue to beat until a well combined and fluffy frosting forms.
- To decorate cupcakes, pipe frosting on top and drizzle with caramel sauce. Enjoy immediately or store in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.