Vegan Jalapeño Poppers are baked cheesy goodness using dairy-free cream cheese, shredded cheese, and toasted panko breadcrumbs.
These spicy and cheesy poppers are perfect for parties, game day, and other gatherings. Vegan Jalapeño Poppers are handheld snacks that are a guaranteed crowd pleaser!
An easy and delicious appetizer that bakes in 30 minutes – what more could you ask for? There’s no dredging and no frying, just a few ingredients baked to perfection then topped with toasted panko breadcrumbs.
One of my favorite types of recipes to make are veganized classics. Lately, I have been experimenting with new vegan substitutes. I have always advised that when you’re transitioning to a dairy-free or vegan diet, to try all the options you have available to you. A few of my favorite brands for cream cheese and shreds are Go Veggie, Daiya, So Delicious, and Tofutti. A lot of people also recommend Mikyoko and Follow Your Heart. It’s all about figuring out what works for you!
Start by cutting each jalapeño in half, lengthwise. Then using a spoon, scrape the seeds out and be carefully not to touch your eyes. Rinse the jalapeño halves then pat dry with a paper towel.
Next, you’ll combine the vegan cream cheese and seasoning together in a small bowl. If you want to add a little something extra, throw in some sliced green onion! Once the mixture comes together, stuff the jalapeño halves, then top with vegan shredded cheese.
Arrange on a prepared baking sheet then cook for about 30 minutes. I recommend keeping your eye on them as ovens can vary and different vegan cheeses melt differently. As the jalapeño poppers bake, toast the panko breadcrumb topping.
When the jalapeños poppers are done cooking, remove from oven, transfer to a serving dish, top with panko and enjoy! Should you have leftovers, store them covered in the refrigerator up to 3-5 days.These work great for all occasions, if you give this recipe a try please tag me on Instagram @theurbenlife and use the hashtag #theurbenlife.
Vegan Jalapeño Poppers
- 6 large jalapeños halved lengthwise, seeds and membranes removed
- 8 ounce container vegan cream cheese
- ½ cup vegan cheddar cheese shreds
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toppings: Toasted panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine about 6 ounces vegan cream cheese, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Stuff the jalapeños with the vegan cream cheese mixture and top with vegan shredded cheese.
- Arrange on a baking sheet and bake until lightly browned, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a small nonstick pan. Add about ⅓ cup panko breadcrumbs and toast over low heat until golden. Set aside.
- Once the jalapeños are cooked and the cheese is melty, remove from oven. Transfer to a serving dish and top with toasted panko breadcrumbs.