This vegan jalapeno poppers recipe is baked to perfection using plant based cream cheese, dairy free shredded cheese, and gluten free toasted panko breadcrumbs. The ultimate appetizer for any party or potluck!
Vegan stuffed jalapenos are a beautiful mix of spicy and cheesy. They're perfect for parties, game day, or simply enjoyed as an afternoon snack.
This quick and easy dairy free appetizer bakes in 30 minutes, with no dredging or frying required.
Where did Jalapeño Poppers originate?
The term “jalapeño popper” originated in Texas around 1972. They’re a Tex-Mex version of a chile relleno.
Jalapeno poppers or jalapeno bites are hollowed out jalapenos most commonly stuffed with a mixture of different cheese and spices. The Mexican Chile relleno is a poblano pepper stuffed with meat and cheese.
Want more Texas snacks and recipes?
- Pair these baked vegan jalapeno poppers with a refreshing Ranch Water cocktail or Texas Margarita.
- Whip up this Cowboy Caviar dip for another tasty appetizer!
- For breakfast, serve iconic Breakfast Tacos. They're a staple in our house.
- Don’t forget about the infamous Texas Trash aka homemade spicy chex mix.
Here's everything you need to make easy dairy free jalapeno poppers at home!
- Jalapenos: Look for large jalapenos that are all roughly the same size.
- Vegan cream cheese: Grab a tub of your favorite plant based cream cheese. I typically have Tofutti, Miyoko's, or Trader Joe's brand in my fridge.
- Vegan cheese: For this recipe, you're going to want shredded dairy free cheese. Any non dairy brand will do. I've had success using shredded cheese from So Delicious, Daiya Cutting Board, Go Veggie, and Follow Your Heart.
- Breadcrumbs: I recommend using panko bread crumbs, as they crisp up perfectly when toasted and commonly gluten free. They make the best crispy topping sprinkled on warm jalapeno slices filled with melted cheese.
- Spices: I like to keep it pretty simple with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Feel free to use what you like or get experimental!
- Extras: As most cheese-loving vegan know, nutritional yeast amps up any dish. It has a nutty cheesy flavor that's great for sprinkling on top as you would with parmesan.
How to Make Vegan Jalapeno Poppers in the Oven
Making jalapeno poppers without eggs is a breeze when baking!
Start by slicing each jalapeno in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scrape the seeds out, being careful not to touch your eyes! Rinse the jalapeno halves then pat dry.
Next, combine the slightly softened cream cheese with the seasoning in a small bowl. Transfer the mixture into each jalapeno, then top with plant based cheese. Arrange the jalapeno popper on a lined baking sheet and cook at 400F for 30 minutes.
Be sure to keep an eye on your poppers, as ovens can vary and different vegan cheeses melt differently. Meanwhile as the poppers bake, toast the panko breadcrumb topping in a skillet, then set aside.
When the dairy free jalapeno poppers are done cooking, remove from the oven, and transfer to a serving dish. Top with toasted breadcrumbs and enjoy warm!
This vegetarian handheld appetizer is best served immediately, however should you have leftovers, store them covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Ultimate Dairy Free Snack
If you enjoyed this recipe, you'll love these too:
- Dairy Free Queso
- Roasted Jalapeno Hummus
- Homemade In N Out Fries
- Air Fryer Cauliflower Wings
- Vegan Buffalo Dip
- Mini Sweet Pepper Nachos
- Vegan Air Fried Pickles
I hope you enjoy this veganized classic comfort food as much as I do! It's a guaranteed crowd pleaser.
Vegan Jalapeno Poppers Recipe
- 12 large jalapeños
- 8 ounce container vegan cream cheese
- ½ cup vegan cheddar cheese shreds
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Toppings: Toasted panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the cream cheese from the refrigerator to let slightly soften so it's easier to spread.
- Slice each jalapeno in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds, rinse, then pat dry.
- In a small bowl, combine the vegan cream cheese and seasonings.
- Stuff the jalapenos with the cream cheese mixture and top with vegan shredded cheese.
- Arrange on the prepared baking sheet and bake until lightly browned, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a small nonstick pan. Add about ⅓ cup panko breadcrumbs and toast over low heat until golden. Set aside.
- Once the jalapenos are cooked and the cheese is melted to desired consistency, remove from oven.
- Transfer to a serving dish, top with toasted panko breadcrumbs, enjoy warm!