Chickpea Taco Salad is an easy vegan dish that comes together with seasoned garbanzo beans and your favorite taco toppings piled high on a bed of lettuce.
I can't pinpoint the moment I became obsessed with chickpeas, but for at least the past two years they have been a staple in my diet. I love how versatile they are and how they can make their way into most meals. Think hummus, smashed chickpea and avocado toast, roasted in bowls with veggies, and so on! Chickpea tacos are nothing new around here, they're actually husband-approved!! We love sautéing chickpeas, making homemade tortillas, then topping the tacos with avocado and black bean dip.
In an attempt to switch up taco night and provide a healthier dinner, I prepared us chickpea taco salad with all our favorite taco toppings piled high on lettuce. If you prefer spinach, kale, or some other green – go for it. This salad has been on rotation because of how easy it is to throw together plus all the variations.
This chickpea taco salad quickly made its way into my heart for multiple reasons. First, it takes almost no time to whip together. That's awesome for those weeknights when I just don't feel like hovering in the kitchen for hours. Second, it's topped with all my favorite ingredients! It's filling, nutritious, and delicious. Third and maybe my favorite part of any taco salad, the crumbled tortilla chips! I just love em. Our local grocery store, Market Street, makes THE BEST seasoned chips. I should really learn how to make them at home because they are just that amazing.
The last awesome thing about this great taco salad is that your dinner leftovers will make the best lunch the following day. So what are you waiting for?
Chickpea Taco Salad
- 1 bag lettuce (mixed greens, iceberg lettuce, spinach, etc.)
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- Homemade taco seasoning 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1½ teaspoons ground cumin, ½ teaspoon paprika, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon onion salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, dash of salt
- 1 can black olives sliced
- 1 can sweet corn drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 bunch green onion chopped
- ¼ red onion sliced
- 1 container cherry tomatoes sliced
- Optional toppings: Fresh lime juice, salsa, crushed tortilla chips
- In a medium skillet, heat a little olive oil over medium heat. Add chickpeas and sauté for about 5-10 minutes.
- Season chickpeas with taco seasoning and continue to let cook.
- To assemble the salad, empty the bag of your favorite greens into a large bowl. Top with seasoned chickpeas, sliced black olives, corn, sliced avocado, chopped green onion, sliced red onion, and sliced cherry tomatoes.
- Serve the salad then finish it off with fresh lime juice, a scoop of salsa, and crushed tortilla chips. Store leftovers in a sealed container.