Roasted Greens Barley Bowl is a hearty and healthy grain bowl with asparagus, zucchini, onion, and walnuts.
I am a huge fan of lunch bowls! They allow you to mix just about any ingredient you have on hand and build a meal full of flavor and texture. The only restraint you have is the size of your bowl, haha! I tend to keep my bowls fairly simple, starting with a base (typically quinoa, barley, or rice), then picking the vegetables (sweet potato, asparagus, cauliflower, onion, broccoli, zucchini, squash, etc.), adding a crunch (from nuts or seeds), then deciding if it needs to be finished off with a dressing or not.
This recipe has been adapted from a recipe sent out in HelloFresh meal plans. I have never used a meal-kit delivery service before but I know plenty of people who live by them. In their version, they use farro rather than barley and finish it off with cheese and butter.
For the past couple of months, I have been cooking with fresh asparagus at least once every couple weeks! It's so cheap, delicious, and in season. This time last year, I was just discovering all the ways to cook with asparagus. Am I the only one who loves to cook according to what's in season? It doesn't dictate what we eat, but when I'm stumped on what to make I'll look it up and go from there.
This lunch comes together in no time and is hearty enough to keep you full until dinner. Simply cook the barley, roast the veggies, saute the onions and garlic, throw everything into your bowl and top with walnuts and you're set! If you try this, please take a picture and send it to me. I love seeing how everybody puts their special touch on a recipe.
Roasted Greens Barley Bowl
- 1 bunch asparagus cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 zucchinis sliced
- 1 ½ cup barley
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 onion diced
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- Topping: chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 450F and prepare a baking sheet. Toss asparagus pieces and sliced zucchini with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- In a medium pot, bring barley and vegetable stock to a boil. Then cook until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a little olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft, then add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Once the barley is cooked, drain and add to skillet with onion and garlic. Add the roasted vegetables then stir in half the lemon juice, half the lemon zest, and vegan butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, divide evenly into bowls then top with chopped walnuts, and remaining lemon juice and zest.