Dairy-Free and Egg-Free Biscuits and Sausage Gravy is made from scratch comfort food prepared allergy-friendly! Warm up with this traditional Southern breakfast dish on a lazy weekend morning.
I love baking homemade bread, biscuits, bagels – basically all the carbs!! I shared my easy biscuits recipe a few months ago. That recipe is suitable for those who follow a plant-based diet.
While I enjoy cooking and eating vegan food, I am not a vegan, vegetarian, or plant-based. I am dairy-free and egg-free due to lactose intolerance and allergies.
We do eat a lot of veggies here but sometimes we like to forget that calories count on the weekend. That’s where the inspiration for this recipe came from. I wanted to create an easy and approachable traditional comfort food recipe, but for those of us with food restrictions!
Dairy-Free Biscuits and Sausage Gravy is perfect for a lazy Saturday morning and comes together in less than an hour from start to finish! These fresh warm biscuits smothered with creamy gravy will leave you full well into the afternoon – perfect for Netflix binges, am I right?!
What’s your favorite breakfast comfort food? Let me know in the comments below!
Dairy-Free and Egg-Free Biscuits
For the biscuits
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup dairy-free butter
- 1 cup dairy-free milk
For the sausage gravy
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 3 tablespoons dairy-free butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups dairy-free milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Begin making biscuits by mixing together flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar in a large bowl. Using your fingers, cut the dairy-free butter into the mixture. It should begin to resemble breadcrumbs. Then pour in dairy-free milk and stir until you have a soft dough.
- Shape the biscuits either by dropping a spoonful onto a greased baking sheet, filling the cups of a greased muffin tin about two-thirds full, or rolling out the dough, cutting out 1/2 inch thick rounds and placing them on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove from oven and set aside.
- As the biscuits bake, cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat until brown. Add the dairy-free butter and stir until melted. Coat sausage with flour, stir, and cook for about 3 minutes. Add the dairy-free milk and stir until gravy thickens, about 10-15 minutes.
- To serve, cut fresh biscuits in half and smother with warm sausage gravy. This recipe does reheat well. If you have time reheat gravy in small saucepan, or microwave for about 1 minute.