Easy Homemade French Bread comes together with just six ingredients and six steps. This recipe will give you the confidence you need to jumpstart your homemade bread journey!
I started experimenting with homemade breads about two years ago with these bagels. From there I shared my experience with white bread, pizza dough, pull apart garlic bread, pita bread, and more. Once you get over the initial fear of baking homemade bread, you’ll never look back! There have been plenty of trials and errors, yeast can be tricky sometimes… But the end result is always worth it.
We love our dinner rolls with soup but recently I’ve been wanting to try a new homemade bread to accompany our main dish. I love french bread because it can be used to dunk into soup, slather butter on, or make bruschetta with. Even though homemade bread takes a little longer to make than quickly running into the grocery store, I love it because I know exactly what’s in my food. Plus, there’s a sense of pride when your loaves come out and fill the house with that fresh baked bread smell!
Even though this recipe calls for kneading and rising then rising again, the end result is so rewarding and satisfying. I don’t know what I would do without my stand mixer, it makes baking so much fun and much easier than hand mixing or kneading. That’s how this french bread starts, by kneading the ingredients together until a soft dough forms. Then you’ll wait about an hour for your dough to rise. After that, you’ll shape your dough into bread loaves and let them sit for another 30 minutes. Then you bake, let cool, and enjoy!
Easy Homemade French Bread
- 1 packet instant yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cups bread flour
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, gently stir together yeast and water. Let stand until the yeast has completely dissolved.
- Add olive oil, salt, sugar, and flour. Mix and knead with dough hook for about 5 minutes, until a ball forms.
- Spray bowl with cooking spray and place dough in the bowl, cover with a clean kitchen towel until it doubles in size, about one hour.
- Place dough on a floured surface and cut in half. Shape into bread loaves. Transfer dough loaves to a greased baking sheet and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375F for 20-30 minutes, until the top is golden and the bread sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove bread from oven and let sit until completely cooled.
Like what you read? Click here to subscribe to my email list!