Dairy-Free Pizza Pockets fresh out of the oven are a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. Nothing screams nostalgia quite like pizza pockets! Recreate a healthier and homemade version using puffy dough, dairy-free cheese, your favorite marinara, and toppings.
Bring the fun back into the kitchen! One of my favorite after-school snacks from childhood were pizza pockets. They were quick and fueled me until dinnertime, but somehow they also worked for lunch and dinner, when needed.
These pillowy bombs of gooey cheese and savory marinara are dairy-free and egg-free, plus can easily be made vegetarian or vegan depending on what you stuff inside. The greatest part of cooking at home is getting to customize your dishes to your specifications.
Huddle around the kitchen counter with your family or friends and let your culinary creativity flow. I like sticking to the classic mozzarella, pepperoni, with black olives. But maybe you like cheddar with leftover chicken, chicken parmesan, or four cheese? Go for it! Stuff as you please. Don't worry about overstuffing. As long as you can bring the edges of dough together and press tightly, you shouldn't have any blowouts.
If you're wondering how these can be dairy-free, let me introduce you to GO VEGGIE. They have been my go-to brand since becoming lactose intolerant about 5 years ago. GO VEGGIE has better for you shreds, singles, bars, cream cheese, spread and dips, and parmesan. Whether you're looking for lactose-free, soy-free, or vegan cheese, they have you covered!
For this recipe, I used GO VEGGIE Vegan Mozzarella Flavor Shreds and GO VEGGIE Vegan Grated Parmesan Style Topping. Both the products are non-GMO, contain no cholesterol, lactose, or gluten, and have twice the calcium as regular cheese. Even if you're not lactose intolerant, have allergies, or a special diet, you'll be amazed at how ooey-gooey and indulgent these products are. I personally think the Italian seasoning and Parmesan mixture topping on these pizza pockets really brings back the nostalgia of the childhood favorite, so don't skimp on that part. What would you stuff inside your pizza pockets?
Dairy-Free Pizza Pockets with GO VEGGIE
For the dough
- 1⅛ cup warm water
- ⅓ cup dairy-free butter melted
- ¼ cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons yeast
- 3½ cups bread flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the filling
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 2-3 cups GO VEGGIE Vegan Mozzarella Flavor Shreds
- 1 (3.8 ounces) can of sliced olives
- 2-4 ounces mini pepperoni optional
- 4-8 ounces sliced mushrooms optional
For the topping
- 3 tablespoons dairy-free butter melted
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- GO VEGGIE Vegan Grated Parmesan Style Topping to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, mix together the water, butter, sugar, and yeast. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Add flour and salt to stand mixer, knead into a soft dough. Divide into 8 equal pieces.
- Create a stuffing station with marinara, cheese, and toppings.
- Working one by one, gently roll out each piece of dough. To create pizza pockets, spoon marinara in the middle of the dough, arrange toppings, and sprinkle with GO VEGGIE Vegan Mozzarella Flavor Shreds. Bring the edges together and press, making sure there are no gaps. Place seam side down on a prepared baking sheet.
- Once each pizza pocket is placed on the baking sheet, cover with clean kitchen towel and let rise for 10 minutes.
- Combine melted butter, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Brush the mixture on to each pizza pocket, then top with GO VEGGIE Vegan Grated Parmesan Style Topping.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden.
This post was sponsored by Go Veggie. Although I received compensation, all thoughts and opinions are my own.