Tofu Scramble Tater Tot Casserole is the ultimate vegan and gluten-free breakfast or brunch recipe. This loaded casserole will satisfy everybody in the family.
Growing up, on Christmas morning, my family would always have "Aunt Michele's Casserole." I believe it came together with day-old bread, a ton of eggs, and loads of dairy!
Since developing an egg allergy and lactose intolerance, I haven't been able to indulge in this family tradition for years. Until now! Here's my take on a vegan breakfast casserole, that's just as fun and tasty.
Easy Vegan Breakfast Casserole
This loaded breakfast casserole is sure to be a family favorite! It's dairy-free, egg-free, gluten-free, meatless, vegan, and vegetarian.
Perfect for a make-ahead breakfast, Thanksgiving brunch, Christmas morning, and more! With layers of crunchy tater tots, seasoned scrambled tofu, and dairy-free cheese, it's wholesome, filling, and comforting.
Here's what you'll need:
- Extra firm tofu
- Nutritional yeast
- Plant-based shredded cheese
- Frozen tater tots
- Your choice of veggies
Cook tofu scramble with veggies of choice in a large skillet. Season with turmeric, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper. The turmeric will turn the tofu a bright yellow color that resembles scrambled eggs! Meanwhile, bake tater tots in a casserole dish at 450F for 15 minutes. Remove tots from oven and lower temp to 350F. Transfer tofu scramble to casserole dish, covering tater tots. Top with dairy-free cheese. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes and enjoy! Serve with ketchup, salsa, or hot sauce. Store leftovers covered in the fridge for a few days!
Want more dairy-free and egg-free breakfast recipes? Check these out next:
- Chickpea Scramble
- Eggless Breakfast Muffins
- Vegan Breakfast Bagel Sandwich
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Plant-Based Breakfast Hash
- Chia Seed Pudding Recipe
- Baked Oatmeal Bars
- Dairy-Free Yogurt Fruit Parfaits
- Banana Bread Donuts
I hope you enjoy this tofu scramble casserole as much as we do. It's heart, nourishing, and perfect for breakfast, brunch, or holidays! If you try this recipe, please share a photo with me over on Instagram.
Tofu Scramble Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 small onion diced
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound extra firm tofu drained and pressed
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package dairy-free shredded cheese
- 1 bag frozen tater tots
- In a large skillet, warm a little olive oil over medium heat. Cook onion, mushrooms, and garlic. Crumble in tofu and stir to combine. Season with turmeric, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper. Let cook for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bake tater tots in a casserole dish at 450F for 15 minutes. Remove tots from oven and lower temp to 350F.
- Transfer tofu scramble to casserole dish, covering tater tots. Top with desired amount of dairy-free cheese. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes and enjoy! Serve with ketchup, salsa, or hot sauce. Store leftovers covered in the fridge for a few days!
SUGGESTED EQUIPMENT & INGREDIENTS