Mushroom & Walnut Bolognese comes together in under an hour, is perfect for beginners in the kitchen, and even husband-approved. This vegan pasta dish is also gluten-free and will satisfy every member of the family!
I’m getting a head start on my number one New Year’s resolution this year. In 2018, I want to continue cooking mostly plant-based meals during the week and of course, eat more veggies.
Ever since I posted my Simple Bolognese Sauce, I’ve wanted to veganize the recipe. I developed this recipe as part of the TresOmega blogger challenge I entered a few months back. Check out my Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies post to learn more about that! Basically, I had full creative freedom on what to cook. I bounced around with the idea of a dessert using their coconut oil instead of butter, but ultimately I wanted to publish a new easy plant-based dish.
TresOmega has a variety of quinoa pasta, coconut oil, coconut sugar, coconut flour, and chia seed. They are all gluten-free and 100% certified organic. What I love most about cooking with their pasta is how easy it is to integrate into my daily cooking routine.
This veganized and gluten-free bolognese is without a doubt a healthier alternative to the traditional recipe, but it still packs the flavor and is just as hearty. I love the bite of the walnuts, but if you have an allergy, simply omit. This dish comes together in under an hour, is perfect for beginners in the kitchen, and even husband approved!
Mushroom & Walnut Bolognese (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
1 cup walnuts, roughly diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small yellow onion, diced
3 small-medium carrots, diced
10.5 ounces mushrooms, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 cups vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 box TresOmega organic quinoa pasta (I used Penne)
Toppings: Vegan parmesan cheese, crushed red pepper, chopped fresh basil
1. In a large sauté pan, roast walnuts until they develop some color. Set them aside for later.
2. Heat olive oil in the pan over medium heat, add onion and carrots and cook until softened. Add garlic and mushrooms and cook until everything is soft. Mix the walnuts back in.
3. In a large pot, bring water to a boil to cook pasta. Cook according to the direction on the package.
4. Add the tomato sauce, vegetable stock, bay leaf, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper to the pan. Stir and bring mixture to a simmer. Then reduce heat and let simmer uncovered for at least 20 minutes.
5. Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed. Once pasta is cooked and drained, combine with the sauce and toss until everything is coated. Serve with vegan parmesan cheese, crushed red pepper, and fresh basil.
Like what you read? Click here to subscribe to my email list!
This post was created in collaboration with TresOmega as part of their Blogger Recipe Challenge.
The Urben Life is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com