If you take a look back on my recent posts, it’s easy to see how excited I am for this upcoming fall season! I am all about pumpkins and squash. I love abundance bowls and easy salads for lunch. This hearty rice bowl is full of flavor and nutrients.
I love roasting anything and everything. My go-to is sweet potatoes, but every now and then I like to switch it up with acorn squash or spaghetti squash. I love roasting veggies because they’re easy to throw into salads or just for a healthy snack. If you love “buddha bowls” as well check out my simple recipe or Sweet Potato and Apple Quinoa Salad!
Kale is another leafy green I love roasting, but for this recipe, I tried a new technique. Have you ever massaged kale leaving it tender and truly delicious? If not, give it a try ASAP! Whisk up a dressing and go to town on those leaves. After about 3 minutes you’ll notice a difference and make even your pickiest eater a believer!
This is an awesome and festive salad bowl packed with rice, kale, and squash. Do you have a favorite seasonal lunch?
Roasted Acorn Squash with Kale and Wild Rice
1 acorn squash, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
Salt and pepper, to taste
6 leaves of kale, rinsed, destemmed, and chopped
5-ounce wild rice packet
Dressing: 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup or another sweetener, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. As the oven preheats, cook wild rice according to the directions on the package.
2. Toss chopped squash with olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil, salt, and pepper. Place on a lined and sprayed baking sheet.
3. Bake for 35-40 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
4. While the squash roasts, place kale in a large bowl and massage dressing into the leaves for at least 3 minutes.
5. To assemble, scoop rice into bowls then top with tender kale and roasted squash.
Like what you read? Click here to subscribe to my email list!
The Urben Life is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com