Mushroom and Leek Rice is an easy recipe that can be served as a side or main dish. This creamy comfort food is actually a take on the traditional mushroom and leek risotto, plus it’s fairly healthy.
I grew up eating risotto often and I totally took it for granted! Lately, I’ve been making it more but sometimes risotto can be too demanding and time-consuming. This dinner takes about 1 hour and the results are a creamy delicious dish that can be served by itself or with a protein. I’ve been on a serious mushroom kick lately and dying to cook with leeks, so this delicious dish was born. What’s your favorite healthy-ish comfort food?
Mushroom and Leek Rice
2 large leeks, sliced
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups long grain rice
4 cups broth
Salt and pepper, to taste
Toppings: Fresh lemon juice
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and leeks to skillet and cook until mushrooms have released their liquid and leeks are tender.
2. Continue cooking until both are slightly browned and caramelized. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
3. Add rice and stir to toast. Add broth and turn up the heat to bring to a boil.
4. Once at a boil, turn down heat to low-medium and cover skillet. Let cook for about 10-15 minutes then stir and let continue cooking for another 10 minutes.
5. Remove from heat, give everything a stir, place the lid back on and let steam for 10 minutes.
6. Before serving, squeeze fresh lemon juice over rice. Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed.
Like what you read? Click here to subscribe to my email list!