Orecchiette with Sausage and Vegetables is an easy one-pot meal with sweet Italian sausage, yellow onion, mushrooms, garlic, broccoli, beans, pasta, and dairy-free butter.
Some of my favorite kinds of pasta are the ones cooked with veggies in their pasta water. It makes for a very creamy like sauce that I just can’t get enough of! Especially since I can’t add cheese or cream to achieve that lip-smacking goodness.
This hearty pasta meal is a new staple around here because of its greens and other veggies. If you’re not a fan of meat or ground sausage, I recommend omitting and replacing with an additional can of beans.
While we’re on a roll with suggestions, may I also suggest topping with dairy-free parmesan cheese? It’s not necessary, but it’s one of my favorite cheeses since becoming lactose intolerant.
Orecchiette with Sausage and Vegetables
1 pound ground sweet Italian sausage
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 cups mushrooms, chopped
1-2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
4 cloves of garlic, minced
3 cups chicken broth
1 bunch broccoli, chopped
1 (14-ounce) can Great Northern beans, drained
1 1/2 cups Orecchiette
1 tablespoon non-dairy butter
1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan then add the ground sausage.
2. Cook until browned on all sides, breaking apart as it cooks.
3. Once cooked, reserve in a bowl and set aside.
4. Using the same saucepan, add onion, mushrooms, and broccoli. Stir to combine then cook, stirring occasionally. Let mushrooms release moisture and onions turn translucent.
5. Add garlic and red pepper flakes. Stir until fragrant, then add chicken broth.
6. Bring to a boil and then add cooked sausage, beans, and pasta. Turn up the heat and bring to a rapid boil.
7. Reduce heat and cover. Let simmer for 30 minutes. After 15 minutes, stir in butter.
8. To serve, scoop into bowls and top with dairy-free parmesan cheese.
Like what you read? Click here to subscribe to my email list!