Traditional Bolognese sauce calls for hours of simmering, but in the long hot days of summer sometimes that’s just unreasonable. This simple sauce is just as tasty with bold flavor and takes just about one hour from chopping to plating!
Of course, I enjoyed this dish topped with fresh basil from our AeroGarden and dairy-free shredded cheese!
My favorite aspects of this dish are the “hidden” vegetables and its ability to freeze exceptionally well.
Simple Bolognese Sauce
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup carrots, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 pound sliced mushrooms, chopped
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup broth
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and pepper, to taste
Optional toppings: Chopped fresh basil
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add ground beef and cook the meat, breaking up into pieces as it browns. Once cooked, transfer to a dish and set aside.
2. In the same skillet, add a little more olive oil. Add carrot and onion and cook until they begin to soften.
3. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Then add mushrooms and let cook for a couple more minutes.
4. Add in the tomato paste and stir well to combine. Mix in the cooked ground beef.
5. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, broth, oregano, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer over low heat and cover.
6. Let the flavors come together for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. When the sauce is almost done cooking, cook pasta according to the directions on your package.
8. To serve, divide the pasta into 4 bowls then top with beef Bolognese sauce. Garnish with chopped fresh basil.
Like what you read? Click here to subscribe to my email list!
The Urben Life is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com