This homemade creamed corn is fresh, comforting, and filling. Leave the guilt at the door because this lighted up and vegan side dish is warm, creamy, and just what you’ve been longing for.
I received free samples of Libby’s Fruits & Vegetables mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Libby’s Fruits & Vegetables and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
Before developing lactose intolerance, I would literally eat creamed corn as an after-school snack. I was obsessed! If you’ve ever enjoyed creamed corn, you know how unhealthy some can be. That is far from the case with this recipe–dare I say this is healthy? We’ll agree on healthy-ish!
Libby’s Fruits & Vegetables provide an easy, convenient and wholesome way to deliver nutritious, delicious meals. You don’t have to compromise on quality time with your family versus a healthy and hearty meal.
Traditionally creamed corn is made with heavy cream or whole milk. Lucky for us lactose intolerant or vegan, this past year multiple brands have rolled out truly great tasting lactose-free and nondairy milk. Choose your favorite and let’s get to cooking this classic side-dish.
Fun fact: Did you know that lactose-free milk was listed on Google’s 2016 Food Trends? You know me, always on trend… Just kidding! But really, how cool that tolerable milk and cheese are on the rise–making it easier than ever for us to cook our favorite recipes.
Vegan Creamed Corn
- 1 can Libby's Whole Kernel Sweet Corn
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/2 small shallot diced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vegan butter
- 2 teaspoons flour
- Pepper, chili powder, cayenne, to taste
- In a skillet, saute shallot in cooking oil until translucent.
- Drain the sweet corn and transfer half into a food processor. Pulse until just smooth. Reserve for later.
- Add the remaining sweet corn to skillet with shallot and caramelize over medium heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Once caramelized, add in non-dairy milk, salt, and sugar. Bring to a simmer and heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over low heat melt the vegan butter. Stir in flour, forming a roux.
- Pour the roux and reserved pureed corn into the skillet. Mix everything together, stirring frequently. Turn up the heat to thicken the mixture. Sprinkle with pepper, chili powder, and cayenne.