Sausage and Arugula Pasta is hearty and filling, without weighing you down. Top with red pepper flakes and dairy-free parmesan cheese!
I actually don't eat pasta all that often, but when I do I want it to count! My only requirements for a full-proof pasta is protein, greens, a balanced sauce, and a touch of heat.
This sausage arugula pasta is both hearty and filling, without weighing you down. I sprinkled red pepper flakes and dairy-free parmesan on the top to really finish it off. The arugula not only brings nutrition but a peppery punch too! Be sure not to skip out on it, as it really does make the dish.
Sausage and Arugula Pasta
1 pound ziti pasta
1 yellow onion, diced
1 pound ground sausage
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup tomato sauce
Handful of arugula
Salt and pepper, to taste
Red pepper flakes
Dairy-free Parmesan cheese
1. Cook pasta according to directions on package.
2. As the pasta cooks, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for about 5-7 minutes, until golden.
3. Add the sausage to the skillet and cook through. Once almost cooked, add garlic, tomato sauce, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings accordingly.
4. Drain pasta, reserving a couple tablespoons of the pasta water. Add the pasta and water to the sauce. Toss and adjust seasoning.
5. Fold in arugula right before serving. Top with dairy-free Parmesan cheese!