This is such a hearty and comforting meal, that leaves you completely satisfied and not at all weighed down. If you’re vegetarian, you can omit the sausage or sub with tempeh.
My favorite part about this meal is the OKRA! I can’t believe it took me this many years to figure out I love okra. I was always afraid of the idea of it, but once I tried the fried version I was hooked. I knew I needed to find a healthier way to prepare it, and this meal is just the place. I was hoping to find fresh okra but my local grocery stores didn’t have any in good condition, so I opted for frozen.
Did y’all know that okra contains potassium, vitamin B, vitamin C, folic acid, and calcium!?!? It’s also low in calories and has high fiber content! That being said, it’s definitely on my list of foods to eat more of to reverse/prevent osteoporosis.
Do you have a favorite okra recipe? Share with me in the comments below!
Sausage and Vegetables Skillet
1 cup rice
1 package of mild sausages
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 green onions, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
1 bag (12 ounces) cut frozen okra
1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
1 can (14 ounces) corn, drained
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1. Cook rice according to package or in rice cooker.
2. Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet. Cook and brown sausages. Once cooked, cut into rounds and return to skillet.
3. Add the green onion and bell pepper to the skillet and brown.
4. Stir in zucchini, okra, diced tomatoes, and corn. Mix in garlic, brown sugar, paprika, Cajun seasoning, and salt.
5. Simmer covered for 15-20 minutes or until okra is tender.
6. Serve over rice and enjoy!
Like what you read? Click here to subscribe to my email list!