Simple Tofu Scramble is a popular quick plant-based scrambled egg alternative. A protein-packed breakfast full of fresh veggies, perfect served alone or piled high on toast with sliced avocado.
I used to love cheesy eggs with toast in the morning but since developing my egg allergy, I haven’t been able to enjoy scrambled eggs in years.
The first few times I made tofu scramble, I was so nervous… I didn’t want to mess it up so I measured out everything precisely and carefully watched over it. Now, it’s a free for all!
Don’t be afraid to use this recipe as more of a guide and find what works for you.
How To Make Tofu Scramble
Start with firm or extra firm tofu. Drain and press the block of tofu to remove excess liquid. To do this, I like to take a baking sheet and line it with paper towels. Place the tofu in the center and layer it with additional paper towels. Put a second baking sheet on top then weight it down with a cast iron skillet.
Meanwhile, cook the veggies down in a skillet. Once the tofu has drained, transfer it to the skillet and start to break it apart. Stir in seasonings and optional add-ins, and watch the tofu start to resemble scrambled eggs!
More Tofu Scramble Add-Ins
- Bell pepper
Tips for Making Tofu Scramble
- If you’re crunched for time, skip pressing the tofu. Just make sure to get as much excess liquid you can from it before transferring to your skillet
- To crumble your block of tofu, use a potato masher or the back of a wooden spoon.
- If you’re new to turmeric and nutritional yeast, start small then build your way up as you get used to the flavors.
Simple Tofu Scramble
- 1 block extra-firm tofu
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1 roma tomato diced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: Dairy-free cheese, red pepper flakes, nutritional yeast
- Press one block of tofu for 15 minutes, then mash.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet with olive oil over medium heat and cook red onion, tomato, and any other veggies. Let cook until softened, about 5-10 minutes.
- Mix in tofu and break apart. Stir in remaining ingredients and optional add-ins. Let cook while stirring occasionally for about another 5 minutes.
- Enjoy on its own, on toast, or in a tortilla!